Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 8 October 2008 | Views [448]

Legs were hurting after the walk yesterday and didnt get up as early as I had hoped (set alarm naively for 7.30 and battled with the snooze button for a good 2 hours before I mustered!)

Headed to Tian'anmen Square on my own today as my 2 travel companions had done it earlier. I was expecting some rattley old underground system but the tube here is very efficient with super clean stations. I patted myself on the back once I got to my destination but it wasnt really that difficult.

Within 5 mins of getting to my destination I was approached by a chap who said he was an art student. I had been warned of various scams whereby people saying they are art students lure tourists to local art galleries and then pressurise them to by overpriced pieces of art. I knew I would be approached but I didnt expect so soon. I was ready.

I replied in Punjabi and told him that I didnt understand. He looked at me and asked if I spoke spanish as he thought I was south american. I again said something in Punjabi and thankfully he then walked off muttering under his breath. This worked quite successfully to fend of the next 3 "art students" that approached me.

I must be the only person in the entire history of travellers to be standing in the middle of Tian'anmen Square (TS) and miss it! I have seen it on the telly about a zillion times and as embarrassing as it is to admit it, yes I didnt realise I was standing bang in the middle of it. In my defence, I expected a sombre looking square given its turbulent and bloo#y history. However when I arrived TS was kind of split in half by massive hoarding (with chinese writing on it)and flowers underneath. the other half to the rear or the hoarding was out of view and the half that I was standing had various gaudy flower displays and what I can only describe as disney type life size statutes of cartoon type characters. When I put my pictures up you will know exactly what I mean. I went to TS about mid morning and when I realised my mistake I went back later at dusk when the square was lit up. This time I walked around passed the hoarding and passed the buildings on either side of TS and the enormity of TS then hit home - it is by far one of the biggest squares I have ever seen! Only a Nagra could miss it I am sure!

Opposite TS is the Forbidden City (its unofficial title) or rather the Imperial Palace which is a maze of 100's of ornate buildings, halls and chambers with a magical imperial garden to the north end. This palace was massive - I have never seen anything like it and it took about half a day just to get around it - well worth it though. Its just as you would expect a Chinese palace to be. As the guide book says its "imperial magnificence on a grand scale". I really which I could put some pictures up as words cannot do it justice (that said it would have helped if I had learned to use my camera properly before I left!)

At the end of the Forbidden City there is another park with a few pavillions from which there are some spectaculour views of Beijing. I headed on up to try and get some snaps but by then it was dusk and the smog was settling and whilst there were still amazing views, the pictures didnt come out well. In the park, there was a little pavillion from where I heard a electric keyboard being played ..one of those synthesizer types and a woman singing. I went to investigate and saw a whole load of local sitting in the pavillion listening to the music [that typical traditional chinese music] - it seems that locals sit in this park of an evening and take it in turns to grab the microphone and sing. It was lovely to hear. I have to say I was tempted to join in but I didnt think that the keyboardist would have recognised Wham!

I then headed home. It had been a long day and I had worked up an apetite. I ventured to one of the local restaurants near my hostel. My 2 travel companions had already eaten so it was up to me and only me to order some food. The menu was in chinese and english thankfully and with pictures. What shall I have? - on the menu were deep fried worms, termites and peppers, chicken feet and peppers? NO WAY HOZAY! Those that know me know I can be a fussy eater so I went for an easy option, shredded potatoes in a spicy sauce - cold but very nice and chicken and lemon grass -nice but dry. I forgot to order noodles/rice - just as well as the whole meal would have been very very dry. Total cost with drink included - less than 2 quid -bargain!

Righto - off to bed shortly. Should be doing the Summer Palace tomorrow which is apparently a "serene and elegant park dotted with imperial architecture " - a hightlight - so the guide book says!

X

PS OFM ' yes I have been receiving your comments although you may no longer see them as I have changed my settings. keep on sending.x

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.