Existing Member?

Travel Candy

Slow Boat to China: Part 2

CHINA | Thursday, 8 May 2008 | Views [940]

Again, I am writing this from Kunming. It is now well after the time I actually wrote the following journal. If you are reading this travel blog looking only for information about traveling, I'll save you some time and let you know that the following blog is nothing more than the incoherent mumblings of a man at sea. There is no advice or information about traveling here. For those of you reading to see what kind of crazy ramblings I have come up with this time, feel free to continue. And your comments are welcome. Especially if they are intended to berate me.

Day two:

Another day spent at sea. On the purely intellectual level I can understand Sartre’s concept in No Exit that hell is other people, but when it comes right down to it, I love people too much to take much faith in it. I’ve only known the people on this boat for just over 24 hours, and already I feel sad that tomorrow morning we will all be getting off the ship and going on our separate ways. I have met a number of wonderful people here; two girls from England who are on a 7 month trip around the world, two Italians and a guy from Sweden who are studying business at a University in Beijing, and a New Zealander who has been a ski instructor in Japan for the past few seasons who is on his way to his brother’s wedding in China.

Today was a day of playing scrabble and card drinking games, of lounging about the boat and reading, of writing in the late hours of the night and of course constantly thinking about Kanae, as well as what lies ahead. It is starting to sink in that I have left Japan for good, and that I am standing at the Gates of the road that leads to the rest of my life. Today was a strange day; strange in both how quickly and how slowly time passes with only the company of other people as distraction.

And while I found myself secretly wishing for the boat to run aground so I could have the opportunity to spend more time with these people, I also recognize that after a number of hours or weeks or years we would begin to despise each other, to hold each other responsible for our shared isolation, and thus, to wish for nothing more than a moment alone.

Fortunately I was able to get that tonight, standing on the bow of the ship and watching the stars while underneath my feet the ocean of sound droned on. Today was, in a way, not worth much mention. But perhaps in a deeper, more profound way, today taught me that insanity is not a separate entity; not a creature that lurks outside of ourselves, but perhaps, like the sea, insanity is simply a constant. And this could be the truth behind No Exit; that even though the tagline seems to be “Hell is other people,” the truth behind it is that Hell is oneself, or rather how one chooses to look at the world. And so perhaps insanity, or Hell is something that is always there, as is its opposite, but something we must choose to accept, if not to pass if we are to cross from this plane to the next.

The reason for all of this boring pseudo-philosophical garbage deals with some kind of hallucination I had at sea, really more of an optical illusion, a mere trick of the eyes, but something that set me to thinking nonetheless. Today I watched the stains on the green of our deck spiral into themselves and attempt to swallow themselves whole, only to return to the place they had been before gaining the capability of locomotion in the first place. It answered the questions I have had so many times before this (mostly while bumbling along on some plane of existence parallel to our own, similar, but not quite exactly the world we are used to). “Is it possible for the human eye to experience this kind of inexplicable movement,” I used to wonder. Basically, “Do people hallucinate who are not either on drugs or schizophrenic?” Is it only a dream, or are the molecules of this piece of solid mass actually swimming? Is it the object that is changing, or are the instruments of my eyes faulty?

These are only some of the things that an expanse of water coupled with a steady rocking of the boat and a few beers after the sun goes down can lead to. I don’t have too much to say tonight and so I find that I am talking again without saying much of anything so for tonight I will bid you adieu. Tomorrow: Shanghai.

Tags: china japan ferry, ferry

 

About magdef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.