Existing Member?

Travel Candy

Slow Boat to China

JAPAN | Wednesday, 7 May 2008 | Views [1180]

Hello all! and thanks for checking in to the first installment of this travel blog I plan to keep for my month and a half trip from Shanghai, China down through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and then a final jump up to India, where I will fly from Delhi back across the great blue ocean to my next adventure, which will be studying poetry at New York University.


Today I'm going to include the journals I wrote on the ferry from
Osaka to Shanghai. They are long. Quite long. Quite a bit longer I should add than most of my blogs will be. But I was on a boat and it was the middle of the night and I had had a few beers and I could not sleep and I am a writer (because I am a writer I am allowed to use that many "ands" in one sentence. Don't jump out of your britches to go and call the MLA. Its ohhhhhhhh keeeeeeeh. Just sit back, relax, and by all means keep reading.)

Obviously it has taken me a while to get these online, as it is now the 14th and I left Japan on the 6th. I apologize for the tardiness of said first blog, but on the boat there was no internet access and since landing in Shanghai I have been moving pretty much nonstop, with no time to sit down and write, much less figure out the inner workings of the travel blog. But now it seems I have it all under control as well as a quiet moment (it is overcast and rainy here in Kunming) so I will take an hour or two to try and catch up with the journal. Funny that "catching up" really means getting my lazy ass off the ground and taking that first step.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience on the ferry, and I would recommend this trip to anyone with the time. Its a lot cheaper than flying (especially during Golden Week when Japanese travel prices double or triple) and beyond that, I made a lot of new friends, got to know people well beyond the simple 2-4 hour plane trip conversation and it was nice to take the time to be completely unplugged for a little while. Spent a lot of time on the deck reading and played a lot of different card games, as well as some travel scrabble with a couple of English girls travelling the world for 7 months. All in all, a total success. Heres what I wrote the first night:

Day One: Slow boat to China

As much as I hate to admit weakness, I have to relinquish the fact that I am writing this with a marshland of tears in my eyes; thinking of all I am leaving has broken me down to the point where I could perhaps allow a salty drop to roll down my cheek, only if a sudden wave were to rock the boat and break this soggy meniscus of lonliness.

"Enough of this melodrama" I hear you saying. "Get on with it fruitcake! Grrrgh Argh! Harumph, Harrumph!!" But, alas, the reason for my sorrow lies in the fact that I am leaving behind not only nearly four years of ups and downs, but also a beautiful maiden who I have grown to love more than even the night sky which glares down on me unblinkingly. Well, yes, of course the stars have been said to "blink" from time to time, but the sky itself stares on, eternally. Give me a break here guys.

What wonderful experiences I have had here in Japan ! What friends I have made! Oh thousand undeserved kindnesses! Oh monsoon of unreturned favors! Oh eternity of bills left unpaid! ... er... uhm... lets forget about that last one shall we? Anyway, by now I'm sure you get the drift. I'm leaving a lot behind to go into the great unknown, to travel the lands and tongues I no knot. Ahem. Know not.


But in the here and now, Ben Harper is singing “Walk Away” on my Ipod, and on the TV in the ship’s lobby a Chinese kung-fu movie is distracting me, occasionally erupting with a fight scene or some easy slapstick humor. A man steps on a pig. There is an explosion. And overneath all of it (I know its not a real word, but you gotta admit its a pretty good mistake) Ben Harper's sad, lonely voice sets the soundtrack. So it is under the most inexplicable of emotional states that I give you my first blog. I’m on a slow boat to
China, and all around me the world goes on. Somewhere in Japan, the girl I love is sleeping soundly, dreaming of the day when we can be together again. And now I must go join her in that sleep which brings us together across the ocean. Good night, and thank you for reading.

Tags: ferry, japan china ferry company

 

About magdef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.