Existing Member?

98% excited, 2% scared or is it 2% excited, 98% scared?

Globe Theatre

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 19 June 2007 | Views [410]

Today we got going at 8:45am and went down to the Globe Theatre. It is the recreation of Shakespeares theatre from the late 1500's. Its really neat, has no roof and only fits about 1500 people. 900 sit in the seating area and 600 stand around the stage. In his time, 3000 squished into the theatre and over 1000 stood in the dirt around the stage. Today, the area around the stage is made of concrete, but back then it was covered in hazelnut shells to prevent it from getting too muddy. 

Each night the actors would put on a different play. The plays were performed at 2:00pm because there was no lighting in the theatre. This means the actors had only 3 hours to rehearse the plays before they went on. And they weren't given the whole script, they were just given cue words that were said before their part. Tomorrow night, we are seeing Merchant of Venice there at 7:30, it should be really neat.

After the Globe we went on a trial run to Julie's (the redhead) work, which took FOREVER because we got lost. But, she works in a very modern, downtown-looking area. Then after class we went on a trial run to mine. We found it right away, which is good. But....the area its in is not too great looking. It is just a bunch of warehouses and weird fish smells. But, I talked to a girl who knows someone who worked for them and she absolutely loved it and there are perks! So we shall see....

Tags: Culture

About mademal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.