Existing Member?

What Will They Find

San Pedro La Laguna Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Friday, 6 June 2008 | Views [502]

aloneWe arrived at Panajachel on the shores of Lake Atitlan in the Guatemalan highlands in the early afternoon and went straight down to the dock where after avoiding all the people trying to "help us" we boarded a boat that took us to the opposite shore of the Lake to San Pedro La Laguna. A small town with a population of approximately 13,000 people, on the Western shore of Lake Atitlan beneath the volcano which also bears its name, San Pedro La Laguna is inhabited primarily with Tz'utujil Mayan. Mostly subsistence farmers and fisherman there is also a growing ex-pat community. We stayed in a small hotel near the docks for the boats to Panajachel the first night. However after the construction that began at 6 in the morning and continued despite the pouring rain we choose to move to a hotel we had found during our wanderings the previous evening. on the way out of town Sen Pedro is famous for it's natural setting, hiking and kayaking opportunities. Due to the rain that fell heavily for six days straight we were unable to partake in these activities. Amy and Turgay spent most of the time preparing the web site and organizing the pictures they had taken up until this point. They fell in love with a restaurant there called Zoola (they told us it was the Hebrew word for relax) and spent a lot of time just hanging out. After six days Pa' and I finally said we didn't think it was going to stop raining any time soon, Amy and Turgay agreed and we all decided to move on to Lanquin and Semuc Champey.

About ma_and_pa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.