Existing Member?

South Sudan

Things you need to know

SUDAN | Thursday, 7 June 2012 | Views [307]

Things you need to know when travelling through Maridi, South Sudan. I really must say that these people are the kindest, gentlest and generous people I have ever met. However if you’re intending to visit here are some local customs you need to know.

 

Knees are too sexy for display, keep them covered up. (women only). Boobs are not. 

When buying oil out of a coke bottle, ck with the vendor whether it’s cooking oil or engine oil. (I squeezed out the meat and rinsed it; nobody was any the wiser and nobody got sick (phew))

If it itches, scratch it immediately, it will be something about to take a bite out of you.

“Yes no problem” means I haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about.

It’s far better to make out you know somebody when you don’t than not realize you have met somebody before.

When you’re just taking a peek at a shin-dig to see what’s going on; don’t get too close. You will be given the best seat in the house, at the front, with no hope of escape or sneaking out. You will be sat for four hours during the speeches and still never find out what’s going on.

Handshaking is compulsory, even if you have already shaken hands with that person, that day. You must especially shake hands with all the people who are with the person you know (or are pretending to know (see above)).

Driving rules are not universal. Drive on the right unless it’s too muddy or the hole is too big. If something comes towards you while you are on the wrong side of the road ck out the engine size, if it’s bigger than yours, get out of the way, if it’s smaller do what you like.

An oncoming car signaling it’s turning to its left means move over. It really does.

Approaching a round-about, going straight on? Put your hazards on. I’m not joking; if you don’t do this a traffic policeman may pull you over and give you a ticking off.

If two or three of you need a bike taxi, only flag one bike, it’s all you need! (Women remember; side-saddle).

When pulling out of a side road onto the main road do not look for oncoming traffic, it’s chicken.

Don’t look at dogs, especially when you’re driving; they’re not used to it. They go nuts and try to attack the car.

When shopping, ask for a little less than you need as they always give you extra without charging! I told you, they really are lovely.    That’s all folks  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

About lynn923

The houses are primitive the people are sophisticated

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sudan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.