Existing Member?

South Sudan

noisy nights

SUDAN | Tuesday, 22 May 2012 | Views [297]

It's 2am. Unable to get back to sleep I decided to distract myself by reciting all the bible stories I have memorized (5) and sing hymns. Badi dak (after that) I tried reading. I picked up a biography of a very successful missionary (Ken Strachan) to Costa Rica 50 years ago and on the inside sleeve it describes the man as suffering agonies of self-doubt and having a lack of faith in himself whereas, to others he was a rock of strength and had boundless warmth.  My Father God has been and still is, teaching me not to look at my lack of faith in myself but if I love and obey Jesus, which I do, I can have total confidence in Him. I cannot stop singing ‘Be bold, Be strong, For the Lord your God is with you’. Not the slightest help in getting to sleep but good for preparing for the English language service at the cathedral at 9am today which I am leading (not preaching).

The English lessons with the Mothers Union in town are a joy and a privilege to teach and the planning for the day centre for orphans and widows is going really well. I’m off to the capital city, Juba, on Monday with my friend, Rev. Eunice to see a day centre in operation there which should be an adventure as we’re taking public transport. You’ve all seen them on the telly, overloaded mini-buses both inside and out.

Another reason I might not be able to get back to sleep is the noise. We have no electricity, no cars going about, no music blasting. It’s birds, crickets, frogs, fruit bats and goodness knows what. There are trees here that scream. I kid you not; similar to crickets but one note, not two and LOUD. Every now and again a dog starts howling and all the others join in, in sympathy, (I don’t blame them, they too do not have the luxuries of living in the west like us, it’s a miserable life for a dog here).

I booked my flight today on the missionary plane that will take me to Entebbe to connect with my flight to Manchester on July 24th It’s getting close now. I really will see you all soon! I’m soooooh excited.

Love love love and God’s blessing on all who read this

Lynn, Mum, Sis, Aunty Lynn   ps it’s still only 5am. Now what shall I do?

About lynn923

The houses are primitive the people are sophisticated

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sudan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.