Existing Member?

South Africa

3/1/2013

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 1 March 2013 | Views [123]

Internship officially started today.  They left to go on their wine tour, so I sat at the Radisson across the parking lot for a few hours.  I sat down in the lobby, on the verge of tears, then I realized I didn't want to make a fool of myself, so I got myself up and walked into the dining room for some breakfast.  Wasn't very hungry but I got a mocha and two peices of toast.  My mocha was very fancy in a clear tall glass.  i sat and read my kindle and looked out at the beautiful view from their balcony.  Once I finally paid my bill, insanely expensive breakfast by the way, I went and sat in the corner of the lobby.  Started talking to mom over Viber, and started to loose it.  I had finally gotten to speak to her the night before for a few minutes and we were both losing it.  She was trying to encourage me, saying she knew I was supposed to be there and everything.  That encouraged me because I know she's right, but I was crying in the middle of the lobby of the Radisson and I just knew that Vanessa, my VAC contact who was picking me up was going to walk in and find me sitting there looking a mess. So I told mom that she needed to go to bed and I would talk to her soon.  I tried to read my kindle for a bit and calm myself down.  Didn't work too well but I think I looked somewhat normal when Oliver walked in to collect me.  He was very sweet and got my bags for me.  We loaded them in his car and were off to my new apartment for the next three months.  He told me I would be living at Station Rd.  Adn that they had an activity that afternoon at some gardens where they will basically be laying around drinking champagne.  It did not sound like something I would like to do, so I made up the excuse that I had paper to write.  I got to Station and it looked like a dump, compared to Trebor's house.  The floor had just fallen through in the living room.  I met Lindi and she and I took my bags up the stairs all the way to the end of the hallway.  I looked over my bedroom which is about the size of a prison cell but had a window with a view overlooking an alley with little fabric flags hagning and I could see Devils Peak through the trees.  

After I went through my check list, Lindi left and I started to unpack.  i was feeling okay.  I finally had my own space, and I didn't have to leave if I didn't want to and at that point in time, I most certainly did not.  I was unpacking when my next door neighbor came to my door.  She's a larger, older lady named Judy (couldn't help but smile and think of my little Judy cat back home).  She's Canadian and sounds like it.  She's kind of a mess but I like her.  I finished unpacking and pulled out my computer for a little Real Housewives therapy.  I wacthed few episodes then got myself together and walked down to Spar.  Got the most random groceries ever, and had myself a little picnic in my room.  Trebor called me and told me that they were coming back to Obs for dinner and wanted me to go.  She was drunk from the wine tour but I went.  My roommate Jessi, who is a friend of Trebor's came with us.  The food was pretty good and Trebor talked the whoel time.  She explained how bad her other internship was and how she was really trying to get another one, even though it had been two weeks and she was still unemployed.  Of course Jenny, who is basically paying for her to be over here and party, said it was fine as long as she was having fun.  Annoying!  We walked back to my apartment and I got a horrible stomach ache and spent the last hour in the bathroom. Awesome.

About lulumac1228


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.