Existing Member?

Worth Missing Biscuits

Wait, wait, wait, you're from North Carolina? and other misadventures...

USA | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [381] | Comments [2]

Today I finally explored a bit around the street on which I live. I found a lovely antique book store to which I plan to return. I also discovered, in the Columbus sense of the word, a vintage store. I proceeded to thrift in Istanbul with all appropriate glee. I bought an Ottoman coin with a hole in it as well as a Russian coin with an image of Lenin on it… And a few other items. I also ran into some people there that just graduated from UNC- and a graduate who lives here with his wife now. Three people total from UNC or North Carolina.

- Visited Dolmabahce Palace - OK, rococo and baroque styles were horrid in France and they are just as bad in Turkiye. A gilded world, I saw putti. Not pleased. Apparently this palace cost 35 tons of gold, the name means filled garden because the land it rests upon was once a bay in the Bosphorus Strait– and in all fairness it is an impressive sight…

- Visited the Military Museum- Fascinating place, saw a performance by imitators of the military band, called Mehter troop. Viewed many swords, rifles and a full scale model with a backdrop and sound effects of battle of Mehmet the Conqueror’s capture of Constantinople. Also viewed an intriguingly official rendition of events from the Armenian conflict… To say the least – there will be photos of this exhibit up shortly.

- Then I ran into someone that I had met at Cup of Joe. On Istiklal in Turkiye. This man had also seen me at the peace protest... He was with a friend who is thinking about graduate school at UNC. The world is shrinking faster than your jeans in the dryer.

- Sat across from/at a table filled with Turkish people, French people, a Hungarian person, an American and a German. To name a few nationalities that were involved. 

- Raised a toast to Obama on a sidestreet with Efes

- Realized Istanbul really is the center of the world.

Comments

1

was it benjamin who worked at cupajoe??

  keith Jun 6, 2008 3:29 AM

2

it was! it was! he sent me a message

  keith Jun 9, 2008 2:59 AM

About luckymedusa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.