Existing Member?

Worth Missing Biscuits

On the dangers of smiling on Istanbul streets :-)

USA | Thursday, 29 May 2008 | Views [577] | Comments [1]

Today we visited an art museum where we saw some stunning calligraphy, sweet textiles and beautiful doors. We also had our first official Turkish lesson, which was fun, but I wish I knew more…After lessons I split off from everyone and went to the gardens. The light was too good to go home. After a stint of viewing uniformed guys and girls hand and hand, (the gardens are a prime couple real estate) and an elderly couple that made me smile. I thought, we have drive ins, or make out points, they have palace gardens... something seems off here! Anyways, I drew and wrote until I started missing the thrum of the city. I made my way out, and down toward Galata bridge. On the way I saw an artists studio, with signs that said, “free, come in!” (how could I resist) So in I went and saw the work which was STUNNING. There were several images of women (mostly faces), sufi dervishes, and a lot of more contemporary work. I can’t describe it aptly. I was thrilled at having met a contemporary artist – whom I might be able to interview or work with – and was smiling when I left. I do not know if I have warned you of the dangers of smiling on Istanbul streets. But if you want to be assaulted with invitations to tea, this is a very good way to go about gathering such offers. So I again found myself in the bottom of a carpet store, chatting away with a man about our various life stories. Twas a good time, and I saw same fabulous boots. He told me they were hand made in Bursa! They had bright colors, star patterns, flower patterns, and swirls on black and brown backgrounds- at one point in the conversation I looked at him out of the corner of my eyes, "Kac lira?" (how much?) "270 lira." he answered, and I said, "I thought as much." Then he continued, "But they are good for you, candy for your eyes at least." Which was true enough. Apparently they also have a store in New York. I like it there, it is right by the artist's gallery so I shall return and have tea again. :-P But all is well, I went on my way, again smiling, and was winked at then stopped by the sketchiest person yet who almost had me come sign some sort of guest book(?) But I managed to avoid that and finally wipe the joyous grin off my face. Though another person did stop me to get me to come to their restaurant, shocking i know. Then I made my way down to Galata Bridge. I crossed the bridge right after sunset- I watched the lights of the city flicker on, and then proceeded up the lovely hill and stairs to my room - Yay bed!

Comments

1

Are you my daughter that wasn't going to wander the streets of Istanbul alone?

Cuidadte'
Yo Mama

  Mom May 29, 2008 12:07 PM

About luckymedusa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.