Existing Member?

Worth Missing Biscuits

Haggler's Paradise

USA | Wednesday, 21 May 2008 | Views [506]

Today the class met up around 1 on the terrace, I only woke up at 12:15… We went to ASIA on the ferry, which was awesome. I like boats, and I bought tea for half a lira on the ferry over – lovely really. We met, on the boat, a preacher, a Turk who had been saved in Texas (where he went to study psychology) and was here spreading the gospel. He was an unexpected person to meet.

The Asian side, from what I saw was interesting, we went through a market, and I cannot describe to you the intensity of this market – everywhere wares were being hawked, especially at us tourist looking types.

Every day – and I’ve only been here 3 days now -I pick up a fair number of words and simply replace my English vocabulary with them. I love languages!!! And you miss out on so much by not being able to understand- though this is the best way to learn I believe, because here language becomes essential knowledge – and essential information is easily retained. Back to the market – oh my goodness! Watches, bras, headscarves, zippers, sheets, buttons, shoes, shirts, pants - and more all hanging in shops - add to that a large crowd of hagglers and you have a good idea of what it was like. We were overwhelmed by everything at first and simply made our way through and out without much stopping. We then went to the vegetable / fruit market – I have never seen food that looked so deliciously scrumptious. We bought some for us and later made a feast! I cooked cheesy garlic bread that was indeed quite tasty!

But before dinner me and another girl split off and went through said crazy market at our own pace -which was nice. After rambling through the market (its a weekly one) we got more fruit and then got cheap lunch. I got real orange juice – juiced from two oranges in front of me!!! Soooooo tasty. Then I also got a kasarli tost. Cheese toast - In fact I’m hungry now, mostly I eat fruit bread and cheese. It could be worse. Yay vegetarianism! While sitting at lunch we saw a group of angsty looking teens smoking, just like home. One thing about here though, small children wander the city by themselves- its pretty cool. On the ferry back we stood outside – I love the water and the view. Back to the apartment of 95 stairs. Then I read on banana hammock/dozed and then dinner! 

Good night all!

About luckymedusa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.