Existing Member?

Lefra'sJourney2TheStates

and so the children have arrived!!

USA | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [538] | Comments [4]

ok so today i spent the day continuing the set up of my 'science fun lab'. i'm not entirely sure how much science is actually going to happen but hopefully it'll be fun. i'm planning on covering topics like colour and light, astronomy (making box planetariums!!), making fossils with plaster of paris, etc etc, if anyone has any inspirational ideas please feel free to let me know!! lol

so from breakfast time onwards the campers started arriving (breakfast is at 8.10am so who knows what time they had to leave to make it to camp, the nearest town (honesdale) is about 20mins away, there were mums (sorry MOMS) and dads walking around the camp all day just checking out the place and obviously the campers as well. i saw cars come in from as far as florida and illinois, there were also cars from the surrounding states of pennsylvania like maryland, new york, new jersey, etc.

because i'm a specialist counselor as opposed to a cabin counselor i dont share a cabin with the campers but with other specialist staff, but i have been assigned to a cabin for certain activities and to relieve staff of their duties. i've been put with girls aged between 10 and 12, and they have conditions ranging from autism to learning difficulties. they all seem to be lovely girls, minus one and were really excited to be here!! with our cabin we eat meals, spend horseshoe time (free time) with them, help them get into bed and sometimes get them ready for breakfast. also with our bunk there is a thing called OD (on duty) and we sit with a bunk until midnight (at the latest) or until a counselor has come back to their cabin. i only get OD 2 times max per week. i have 12 free periods a week so during those free periods i can plan for lessons, go with my campers during their activities or just sleep. we're pretty much on the go from at least 7.30 until 12am or sometimes later, so it's a pretty full on day.

anyway, so saturday is my day off and on the days off the camp has organised for staff to go on day trips to honesdale and the surrounding areas, i've signed up so this saturday we've got a trip into honesdale and then we're also going to a place called skinner's falls. it should be a good day and it'll be nice to get out of the camp for a little bit!

oh i have my first injury of the summer!! i now have a bruised thumb from playing frisbee!! nothing major guys so don't stress!!!

anyway, i have much planning to do before tomorrow, shall endevour to keep up-to-date with this blog

love loz

;)

Comments

1

HEY!! First injury huh? It was great talking to you the other day even though it was super breif....cant wait to chat again :)

  Jennifer Jun 27, 2008 10:16 PM

2

Hi you gorjus girl,
You crack me up, only lauren lizzie could get bruised thumbs from playing frisbee lol, watch out when you hit the b'ball courts.What a busy girl you're going to be, you'll be having as much fun as the kids oops sorry they're children as I've learnt in my course. Boy are you going to have a few sleep-ins when you get home, I've just googled and found Duck Harbor Pond /Duck Harbor Rd, I think I found Skinners Falls, please don't go white water rafting wait till you get your bronze medal in swimming, it's the most treacherous part of the river I'm just thinking frisbee..treacherous river you see where I'm going haha. Keep having fun and stay safe lovey.
Luv u heaps, talk soon, I hope, all my luv Mumsy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  Mumsy Jun 27, 2008 10:57 PM

3

hey loz,
you have to do volvanoes with the kiddies..you know, get them to make a volcano then do the bicarb & whatever reaction..either that or just squirt tomato sauce out the top of a volcano!!!

  Bel Jun 29, 2008 9:58 AM

4

Hey Bloss, sounds like you're having a blast (not literally, please!!) hope you are taking heaps of photos. loving this bloggy thing!! keep safe, lots of love A.K. xx

  Kellie Jun 30, 2008 2:58 PM

About loz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.