Existing Member?

Pure Peru

Motivations & Seredipity

PERU | Monday, 14 January 2013 | Views [430]

I was sat in a blue bus on it's way north to a desert town by the sea, several months deep on a journey through Peru.
Playing on a dinky TV was a Jackie Chan movie with Spanish subtitles. The chairs were covered in poly-corduroy and smelled ever so slightly like a stale cupboard. The bus was fairly empty, except for the large family on the other side of the aisle. The daughter was transfixed by Chan's on-screen dance. I looked out the tinted window, to see an expanse of desert lit by the afternoon sun.  On occasion, we would pass burning piles of trash, the lighter parts of which had been strewn like confetti across the Pan-American highway and surrounding desert. To my left, over a series of smaller dunes with rocky crowns, lay the Pacific ocean.

The forward motion of that bus - it's direction and intent - flipped me straight into that present moment. A wave of joy rose through my body and welled up in my heart, so great my chest felt as if it could hardly hold the vast expanse of it. The sheer pleasure of being "there" (which really meant HERE) made me grin from ear to ear. I still think of it when I get sad, not because the location, the smell, or the view was so astounding (it also was, in as much as it was a completely unique combination of factors, something I had never been witness to before), but simply because I was so completely present.

Photography is adventure. A chance to see that great wild expanse of the world. From the most beautiful mountain peaks to the most sordid underbelly of a human metropolis. It is a reflection, and as such, a powerful tool. A tool that can be used to inspire into action, to evoke joy or sadness. To solidify serendipity.

For years I have wanted to work for National Geographic. It has played a huge role in my life, in expanding my view of the world, educating me about the lives of others (human, animal and mineral). A single photo stuck in my mind for years: one of a monk sitting in ruins surrounded by roots that looked like melted wax. It led to one of the most transformative journeys of my life, to the heart of Cambodia and the temples of Angkor Wat, something that will stay with me to the day I die. If a photo I take could move just one individual in the way that National Geographic cover moved me, I would be happy. That is my intent, and the motivation for all the work I create.

Tags: emotion, journey, life changing experience, love, peru, rebirth, trek, vagabond

About loverock

The inscription below this crucifix implores the passerby to venerate this ancient symbol. What is going on in the life of the man who walks by it? Is the book in his hand a bible or a journal? Is he a believer in God? Where is he going, and why does he wear that expression of contentment? What songs play in his ears as he walks the streets of the city? Is it his, or is he one of the many who come to Lima seeking fortune? Despite widespread poverty, pollution and social inequality, the city continues to attract many from the countryside seeking a better life, another passerby in this sprawling metropolis. Another bookcover to a story I'll only have read a line of.

Catholicism, brought by the Spanish Conquistadors, left a deep mark on Peruvian society. The city center of Lima, home to almost a 3rd of Peru's 30 million inhabitants, radiates outwards from the Plaza De Armas, the central square from which all points in Peru are measured. Catholicism played a major role in Peruvian culture and society since conquest and  in some respects it's introduction wiped clean thousands of years of knowledge and belief, leading to the death and persecution of many, and as a justification for the Spanish conquest (

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.