Existing Member?

Kris & Sam in SE Asia Bangkok, Phuket, Siem Reap, Kanchanaburi

Past few days

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 29 November 2008 | Views [453] | Comments [4]

Hello to all

Much has happened since our last exchange of words. Kris and i went on an elephant tour and WERE RIPPED OFF!! We paid all our tours in advance...or so we had thought. We rode the mammoth beasts, which are beautifull and kris even rode on the head of one (he told me to make sure i informed u all of his obvious bravery). Once the elephant trek was over we went to continue the tour...only to be advised that we owed the 1400 baht?? After some arguing that we'd already paid, kris and i gave up the rest of the tour activities that we had planned with the company and went home, paying 1400 baht (around $60)!!

FRIDAY - We miss our plane to Cambodia due to the protesters blocking and bombarding the airport. They've been protesting for 5 days now and no one is comming into or out of the country. We're currently stuck in Puket untill this anti-gov protest resolves. We've re-booked a flight into Cambodia on Monday but K and i have decided that if nothing resolves by tomorrow day we'll book a 10hr bus ride into Bangkok and then catch a connecting bus to Cambodia, This'll end up taking around 20hrs but it doesn't look as though we've got much of a choice. Untill then we're just winging it, and constantly watching the news. Also we won't be getting home on the 7th as planned. Probably be home on the 11th with all this but it depends when the airports re-open. Mum, melissa and Laura, can u please tell work that I won't be home untill about the 11th? We'll keep u posted on everything. Got to go!

Love Kris and Sam. MWA oxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoox

Comments

1

It sounds like you both had some fun on the elephants. Just a question about going to Bangkok. Wouldn't it make more sense to heed the Australia Government's warning and STAY AWAY from the place. Also, wouldn't it make sense to just catch a plane home from Phuket while the going is good as the situation is apparantly going to get a lot worse. The latest information in Australia about the situation is that it is not going to improve any time soon. I read in the paper that the Australian Government is now apparently trying to arrange emergency transport out of Bangkok for Australians stuck there (if possible) and advising that under no circumstances should tourists go there. The Thai Governemt and our Government is advising all foriegners to remain in their hotel rooms in Bangkok. Stay safe, keep in touch and if you need help let us know.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad (Tierney) Nov 29, 2008 4:00 PM

2

Dear Kris and Sam,
We just heard (5.00pm-Saturday Australian time) that Australians are fleeing Bangkok for Phuket and are having a bad time getting there, so under no circumstances go to Bangkok. One young bloke and his girlfriend got through and advised it is choas in Bangkok. The news tonight reported that the streets in Bangkok are near boiling point and all foreigners are advised to get out of Bangkok however they can. SO AGAIN UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO BANGKOK! Also apparently trouble may now erupt in the north of Thailand because the Thai PM is trapped in Chang Mai. Best bet would be to cut your losses and catch the next available flight home. Give us a ring, reverse charge will be all right and let us know what you are doing.
Lots of Love, Dad and Mum.

  Dad and Mum (Tierney) Nov 29, 2008 6:25 PM

3

Stay safe, don't worry about $60 and enjoy yourselves. Look at alternatives and stay away from trouble spots.
Keep safe.
Love Mum

  john Nov 29, 2008 6:27 PM

4

Have you pre-paid Cambodia?
Look at alternatives / options for safe travel. Remember that you're on holiday to enjoy and relax.
We are all concerned for your safety, listen to the news and make informed decisions.

  John & Carrolyn Nov 29, 2008 6:50 PM

About love_boat_captain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.