Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Giant Guangzhou

CHINA | Saturday, 25 June 2011 | Views [718]

Travel Date: June 12 to 17, 2011 (Business)

Departing NAIA
The flight attendant is counting the passengers manually, those seated, those standing and oopps, some are lying. She had to count again. I feel sorry for her and her team. They have to do the counting manually to chekc if there are passengers missing. Talk about manual.
I am a bit paranoid with this trip because of the recent execution of Filipinos due to drug smuggling. I am looking so closely after my belongings because someone might drop something illegal. Urgh. Paranoia sets in. What can I say? Strange things happen to ordinary people.
Touching Down in Baiyun Airport
The ride was rough and the landing shaky. I get chosen by customs for another round of baggage check. I got through it. That's the only time I let go of the paranoia.
We leave the airport in our MB service but in less than 10 minutes, we get into a car accident. I was not wearing seatbelt so I almost flew to the front seat. Looks like drivers here do not know the rule on right of way. We had to get a cab to get in to our hotel.
Walking around Guangzhou
I read somewhere that Guangzhou hurried it's way to industrialization which made the city too industrialized for its own good. Looking around, you see several sky crapers and uniquely architectured buildings. The city also uses a lot of its electricity on night lights. The city is lit up very nicely during the night. I guess this is the reason why there are still a lot of people out at night, on a sunday night that is.
We were looking for somewhere to eat. It turns out we are at the high end of the city (ritz-carlton). We walk several blocks, more than an hour, but no fastfood or 7/11 in sight. We ended up buying groceries and eating noodles in our rooms.
The walk around Tianhe district proved that we stayed in the wrong side of the city. But that's fine. We did not mind the travel.
FB and Blogger Blocked in China
I can't connect to my friends. I am already missing home. Being alone in a luxurious hotel is nice but having somebody to share the room with is the best. Just checked China Daily today. Non-stop, strong downpours are causing landslides that have already killed people in Beijing. In other news.. Guinness names the smallest man alive.. a Filipino.
Photos of Guangzhou here.

Tags: china, guangzhou

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.