Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Exploring the Balingasay River - Bolinao, Pangasinan

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 16 April 2009 | Views [7145] | Comments [3]

We hopped on a pump boat one warm summer morning. I read that the river is one of the cleanest in the Philippines.  I wanted to see that for myself. I have just visited a few rivers on the other regions of the country so I had enough to compare it to.

Our pumpboat started to cruise the river, with its loud sound fading into the silence of what was around. It was a warm day but the cool water balanced it out, making the temperature just right. The river was calm, no rapids. The water was clean, blue, deep, just like the ocean. Bamboos and hemp plants lined along the sides of the river, some stood straight, while some were bent, almost kissing the water. Rock formations created beautiful reflections on the water. It was a wonderful sight.

Our boat sailed smoothly following the river's curve. Locals soon appeared floating on bamboo rafts, pulling strings with ends submerged in the water. They were fishing using a simple technique of just a string, hook and a bait. They smiled and waved back at us as we passed them. Another lady was paddling her bamboo raft using a stilt. She stopped to wave at us.

Every slight curve of the river was becoming more exciting.

Further down the river, the plants were thicker, some grew in the middle of the river, the water became too shallow for the pumpboat to keep sailing. The boatman said further down was a good spot for swimming, if only the water was high.

We had to turn around and sail back to where the river meets the ocean. My excitement subsided as we sailed back. I had a certain feeling of peace within. I just watched around quietly as we approached the ocean. It was one of my best river cruises.

Tags: balingasay, bolinao

Comments

1

i miss you bolinao

  jomar catabay Jun 11, 2010 1:28 AM

2

We all love your blog here in Bolinao Pangsinan. hello to all my kababayans in Bolinao. Abao a Salamat! http://www.bolinaopangasinan.net84.net/bolinao_pangasinan.html

  Bolinao Pangasinan Jul 29, 2010 4:37 PM

3

I would like to ask, if how much did the pumpboat rental cost you?

  joanna Jimenez Feb 1, 2012 11:23 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.