Existing Member?

Solo Travel (Thailand)

Welcome to Dragon 5

THAILAND | Friday, 18 September 2009 | Views [432]

All in One Bathroom

All in One Bathroom

The shock anticipated at my arrival never became a reality.  At ease in my hotel the first night, I walked downstairs and as if by coincidence, a couple from England befriended me.  After being told that they come to Bangkok every year since 1986, I thought I could pick their brains and learn the ropes of being a Falang (Foreigner) in Thailand - Food, people, scams, and past experiences were all subjects up for discussion.  All I could think is that this was a great introduction to Thai culture. 

The following day, walking in the streets I found comfort in losing myself in the narrow congested alleys filled with consumers discussing words unknown.  Seemingly virgin to the smells and sounds, I decided to begin my exploration of the senses.   Content in simply walking I stopped at every kiosk that contained a new awkward looking meal and shyly pointed to the curious delicacy for it would be my next snack.  Not surprisingly all of the food I tasted greeted my taste buds with a delicious taste.  Who knew that rotten boiled eggs, squid on a stick, or liver/heart would taste so good?   

After dark, still worn-out from the jet lag, I opted to settle in my king size bed after eating the small hand made chocolates I avoided all day for fear of being charged ( I was reassured that they were complementary).  I also knew that tomorrow would bring a whole new adventure because I could be going to the less touristy side of Bangkok and meeting my first couch surfer host.  

“Come by taxi and call me so I can talk to the driver and tell him how to get here” – Jody .  After hoping in a cab with no sense of direction I handed the phone and those strange words, surprisingly, still made no sense.  Off I went, across the river, crossing the canal, and dropped off in an area appearing to be a side street in old Manhattan.  Where was I?  Bangkok Noi (Old Bangkok)…now what!  Apparently the cab driver dropped me off further than directed because he felt cheated at not being able to over charge another Falang.  30 minutes later Jody and I were finally able to locate each other and was introduced what would now be my headquarters in Bangkok. 

“Welcome to Dragon 5” – Jody.  Looking at what looked like a poor version of a dive bar with only one creative soul, I dropped my bag in a room, home to old mattresses, and one circulating fan.  “We do not use toilet paper, and as you can see we shower with a bucket” – Jody  In agreement, I thought back to the days where having a roof and a mat was good enough for the night and was thankful that at least the weather was warm enough to take cold showers.  Little did I know that this would not only be the most accommodating place, but that like a piece of art that gives delight to the patient, Dragon 5 was a shy local that slowly would introduce its virtues to all those willing to not judge its appearance and enjoy.

About loquillopr

Tuk Tuk Ride

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.