Existing Member?

Time in Bali

First Impressions 6 to 9/10

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 9 October 2011 | Views [284]

Bali, they call it the 'island of paradise'. I'd call it the island of contrasts'. Everywhere one looks are opposites. Stepping off the lengthy plane ride, with lots of drinking aussies excited to be on holiday (and kids nervous about being trapped with) I was struck by the heavy, muggy, scent laden air. Well, that was after we stampeded through customs. Initially a mix of smells like frangipani (my favourite), offering incense, and then comes the decomposing fruits/offerings, not really sure what it actually is, but its something dead or dying. Then you see the beautiful arcitecture, statues, walls, gods & goddesses and then the rubbish. Yes, the rubbish is as plentiful as the people, and was a real shock for me. Travelling to the hotel there is stagnant, rubbish (mostly plastic) filled waterways, and dogs & cats wandering. Mangy, half tailed, half starved do their own thing, animals. Contrast with the manicured gardens, with teams of men coming out in the early morning to rake, sweep, pluck, anything old, tired or brown.

It may be because the wet season is almost upon us, but the streets are dirty. I noticed the gardeners washing the leaves of the numerous frangipani trees and yesterday, when I managed to hire a motorbike & driver, the dirt on my face, even with helmet on, was incredible. Its very dusty, surprising, give the humidity. You'd think the dust couldnt get through the heavy air.

I went looking for some items, which I now realise I was totally unrealistic in thinking I could get. Undies, leggins, comfortable sandals for my enormous westerner feet. And that was the trouble, everything was bali size (which makes sense) but me in my presumption thought that they would of course cater for larger people, being such a touristy place, and therefore only bought a backpack with few clothes, thinking I could buy what I needed here. Well, If u need the basics, like bras, undies, jeans, etc, bring them with you. The rest of the clothes situated over the top of the basics is amply provided for. There are many stores that cater for larger western women in the tourist areas.

Many balinese recommeded going to 'matahari'. Its huge they said. I'm afraid for someone who is used to the size of Chadstone, Melbourne,(which you need weeks to get round),  Matahari is a $2shop! And the shop assistants, are not there to assist, just to gossip. If you want to buy anything u need to buy it in that particular section, grabbing a selection and expecting to go to the by the door checkouts is a great way to spend time. As you will have to go back to each section & pay, then pay, then pay, before you get out the door. I'd advise alotting lots of time for the Matahari Shopping Centre. It is big, but more smaller, surburban big. No chance of getting lost!

This morning I hired a bicycle (30,000rp)for the day, and went riding round Sanur. This I thought was the best way to save my blistered feet, and was great fun. Definitely the way to get round locally. I rode for almost four hours, stopped when my stomach was growling & had lunch (78,000rp), came home & had a nap. Tomorrow I am hiring a motorbike(60,000rp), to see if I can get up to the National Park in West Bali. Or Just for wander round Seminyak. Everyone rides scooters here, and the things they carry! Just amazing! As long as I keep my wits bout me, should be no problem with the traffic.

Here are some photos of Sanur Beach, Architecture, my hotel room etc.

About lolly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.