Existing Member?

L&L On the Road Lars & Louise on a world-sampling tour

From China to Vietnam, through Friendship

VIETNAM | Sunday, 3 January 2010 | Views [581] | Comments [3]

The ‘Sleeper’ Train 

After warming up thoroughly by watching classics like ‘The Platoon’, we felt ready for Vietnam. A bus and a train ride brought us from Yangshuo in China to Hanoi in Vietnam, via the Chinese city Nanning - famous for it’s dog hot pot. Not hot dogs – but really, hot dogs. We’re talking puppies in scorching, boiling pots, most likely with fantastic seasoning. It’s China, after all. We did enjoy a break in this city, but we passed on their speciality. Well, we think. I carried a note which said ‘I do not eat dog’ in Chinese letters and had to point at a number of dishes in their menu before our waitress approved my choice. I miss my dog, Tamlin… Anyhoo, we got on the night train expecting a boarder crossing not unlike the one we had experienced on the train between Mongolia and China, where they gently woke us up by lightly tapping our shoulders, asked for our passports, having one look at our sleepy faces and then let us drift back into deep sleep, never even glancing at our baggage. Crossing at the Friendship Gate was a tad bit different. The immigration offices of the two countries are situated quite a bit apart, maybe 20 minutes by train, not enough time for a proper nap. Immense no-mans land. So much for friendship, eh? Both the Chinese and the Vietnamese boarder control required that we got off the train with all our belongings for inspection, scanning and some tedious paper work. Zzzzzzzzz. But worst of all was that we in the end arrived in Hanoi at 5am and not 7am as per the time table we had been screening prior to booking the tickets. No beauty sleep for us! We were dropped off at a tiny station - not even a station building but just a gate letting us off the tracks - outside of Hanoi, to be greeted by total darkness lit up only by the grins of the taxi drivers who had gathered to welcome us…

Taxi!

We had been warned beforehand to be a tad bit on our guard in Vietnam, especially watching out for taxi drivers overcharging or bringing you to a hotel of their choosing instead of the one you have selected, so that they receive commission. Often the hotels claim they have recently changed names! Hmm… But we try not to become paranoid. It’s a shame that a few bad apples soil the reputation of an entire country – 99.9% of the people we dealt with here have been just great! Anyways, after a lot of negotiations at the train ‘station’ we finally agreed to be taken to our hotel by a guy who only asked about three times the fair fare. Fair enough! Going by the meter works in most cases though; unless they have a fast running one or if they just take you round in circles until they are happy with the total amount. The scenic route-scam happened to us once, in Hué. We watched the map carefully as we drove and when the cabby couldn’t quite explain why he had taken us all the way out of the city and then back again when our hotel was just down the road from the station, we refused to pay what he was asking. We even got backed up by the brave hotel staff even though the taxi driver was giving the poor girl quite an earful. He called us cheap. We gave the money we had taken back from him to the hotel staff as tip. Pah! And so we were in Vietnam! Fish sauce galore. Just in time for Christmas.

As we had arrived in Hanoi - the city of the three million scooters and motorcycles - before dawn, we opted for a hotel recommended by Lonely Planet, as we were very tired and it’s just not the time to walk around looking for a decent place. At the City Gate Hotel we asked for a room and were told - a bit rudely but excusable as we had woken him up in an ungodly hour - we could have one for a rate slightly higher than what was stated in LP, but we had to wait until 8am. So we waited. Or I did – Lars went out armed with his camera to watch and capture the streets turning in to vegetable and meat markets in the early morning hours. At nearly 8am we were told by the now fully awake and still very rude receptionist there was no room available, and he had no idea what he had promised at 5.30. Way to early for any type of communications apparently. Luckily Lars had spotted several other options and we quickly found a very nice hotel. If you’re ever sitting at the computer with absolutely nothing to do, check out the reviews of that first hotel at tripadvisor.com – it’s just insane! This guy locks the doors with a padlock at night, and if people try to leave early for the airport, he demands more money before opening the door! Nice! I’m glad they were fully booked…

 

Hanoi is a very noisy city as everyone is driving using their horns and not so much the mirrors, and it’s a fun sport trying to cross the road. You walk very, very slowly, giving the scooter-people plenty of time to dodge you, of course without ever slowing down. Try and run across and you’d be pancake for sure. The pancakes here are awesome. And the soups. And the spring rolls… We found a nice street stall not unlike the one in Shanghai but instead of feasting on spicy, peppery food, we now indulge in the sweetness of lemon grass and fish sauce, and a bunch of tasty creations of filled rice papers, fresh or fried. Yum! And, not to be forgotten, fresh beer!

--(@

Louise

 

Comments

1

is that a photo of Lars drinking 10 cent beer at one of the street corner breweries??? man i miss vietnam :(

  ben Jan 6, 2010 4:09 AM

2

Yep! Vietnamese fresh beer! No chemicals, no conservatives - and thus best early in the mornings, when it's, well, fresh... :) It was a very nice way of starting the day for sure!

/Lou

  lol Jan 7, 2010 12:06 AM

3

Haha, bet it is!

  Tommy Jan 27, 2010 5:07 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.