Existing Member?

L&L On the Road Lars & Louise on a world-sampling tour

- Supreme Ultimate Fist - (Tai Chi)

CHINA | Thursday, 31 December 2009 | Views [647]

We spent six days training Chen style Tai Chi at the Long Tou Shan Martial Arts School in Yangshuo, China.  When you see old people doing this in the park, it looks very relaxing and not at all like a particularly strenuous work out.  However, this simply is not true.  It is actually very challenging and doing it every day for a week left us both with numb legs.

Basically the school was of the all inclusive variety.  We paid 1100 RMB each to stay and train for a week, including all meals.  We both thought that this was great value.  The rooms were very simple and the food perhaps not so varied (we had hotpot for lunch and dinner everyday for the entire week) – but it was absolutely delicious and clearly very healthy. Training was two times a day, two hours per session, with two trainers on 4 students (there were two other student’s there as well – of which one was a Swede, small world!) so very good indeed.

The teachers at the school were also the best thing about it. Master Mei, Master Yong and Jackie (he also has a Chinese name, but Jackie was easier for us laoweis to remember), did everything to improve our skills and to make us feel at home.  When we left, having both trained with them and shared meals with them every day for a week, it was like leaving your family.

This below is a link to YouTube showing Master Mei demonstrating the form that they taught us (or tried to teach us maybe – we still need some more practise to perfect it…).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yO5Mulm-KQ

Jackie is Master Mei’s 20 year old son and was responsible for training us.  He had a great sense of humour and was very, very patient.  Numerous were the times when he looked at me after I had attempted some move, just smiled a little bit (surely laughing inside) and said “maybe we do this one, one more time”.  I hope to have the opportunity to come back and train with them again sometime.

 

 

All the best,

Lars

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.