Existing Member?

Ten years in Camphill Accounts of a volunteer vagabond filled with copious amounts of wanderlust

Journey to the “ Cauldron of waters”

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 21 November 2014 | Views [350]

Speed bonnie boat, like a bird on a wing, onwards the sailors cry ...so I made a dramatic entrance onto the Isle of Skye through Kyle of Lochalsh. A while back, in a Youtube video I have seen Ray Mears, my favorite outdoorsman visit Loch Coruisk. He called it a beautiful and desolate place, which is only bothered by occasional tour-boat visits from Elgol. Those who are willing to take a more scenic journey would need to depart on foot from Sligachan campsite and walk about 7-8 miles to reach the lake. I have chosen this second option, and I haven’t been disappointed at all. I have put up my tent at the foot of one of the Red Cuillins called Glamaig. I have a knack for adventure, so I have decided to climb it, and went through all the bog and marshland to reach the foot of the mountain. I scrambled towards the top with the camera hanging over my neck, followed by the suspicious looks of mountain sheep, and stopped several times to take photos of the surrounding scenery. It started to get dark so I slid off. My shoes were gathering sheep droppings on my way down like precious artifacts. Back at the campsite I prepared my powder tomato soup. It took me a while to figure out that if I shelter my gas burner with a wall of rocks, then it heats up the soup quicker. And with this tomato soup party in my tummy I read a few chapters from Patrick Leigh Fermor’s book: Words of Mercury.
I haven’t slept too well, but I wasn’t really bothered by it the next morning, because I was on my way to Loch Coruisk. Battery power check. Walking boots and weatherproof clothing check. I walked through a long narrow slightly rocky path till Druim Hain, walking all the way up to the crest. Two climbers taking a break from the wind under a boulder. In front of me an enormous valley, with the road winding its way back to Sligachan and the start of the Cuillins. I had to go up Sgurr na Stri to get the best view of the lake and I wasn’t disappointed. Going down was a bit of a problem. The mountain was quite steep at places, and some of the rocks were quite wet. And I wasn’t prepared to leave my bones here, no matter how amazing this place was, so I paid attention, and managed my way down. And there I was at the side of Loch Coruisk. I took my socks off and went into the lake with a sigh of relief. I looked around, to see that a group of elderly people were skinny dipping in there, and some of the old ladies were shouting after me, inviting me in for a swim like a bunch of sea nymphs. I respectfully declined and went on my way.

 loch coruisk from the rocks up top

Tags: on the road

About lokodizsolt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.