Existing Member?

Llamas Gordas

Looked for Pudú, found some doodoo!

CHILE | Monday, 29 October 2007 | Views [1289] | Comments [7]

Palafitos in Castro on the estuary of the river Gamboa and the Pacific.

Palafitos in Castro on the estuary of the river Gamboa and the Pacific.

You know a trip is going to be crappy when the first thing you see when you get to your destination is a toilet full of crap! And that was the first thing Meli happened upon when we got to Chiloé.

Chiloé is a small island in the South of Chile. All the guidebooks we read talked about how magical, how enchanting, how frozen in time this beautiful island is. There are palafitos (see pic - houses built in the water on stilts), rolling pastures full of sheep and cows, more fresh seafood than you can possibly imagine, a temperate rainforest, and a population who has woven their native mythology into Christianity to create a unique syncretic religion not found anywhere else in the world. They even have a deer the size of a small dog - this is the illustrious, yet reclusive pudú that is so named in our title. What´s not to love? Well...we found exactly what we were looking for...

I am not one to judge the character of a city at night. In the dark everything seems ominous, dingy, and creepy, as if danger lurks around every corner. But the thing is, that when we awoke the next morning, nothing had changed. Let´s see-damp, dank, dismal, dumpy, dreary, that is Castro, Chiloé. The palafitos, once we found them in drizzling rain, were nothing but glorified houses on stilts-nothing to write home about.

But indeed, it is true that Chiloé is frozen time - in the 1970´s- which we all know was a bad time in every regard. From bad politics, to fashion, to music, to food, to movies, to gas prices, to coke addictions- even the 76 olympics were a disaster. And Chiloé has chosen this glorious epoch to be frozen into. Don´t believe us? There is wood paneling EVERYWHERE! The restaurants, offices, hotels - everywhere! Wood paneling should have been retired a long time ago! Can we just say depressing?

Oh and the temperate rainforest? There is a reason that there is a temperate rainforest there - it never, ever, ever stops raining. Even when, for a brief moment, the sun shines, it´s still raining! Worse yet, was that the rain permeated our beings! You should have seen the two of us, we were miserable, forlorn! You say that the animals might have made us happy? Well the cows and sheep wouldn´t let Meli anywhere near them. And the pudú - there´s a reason they say its reclusive - you can´t find one anywhere!

The seafood though, right? Well, we may have done this to ourselves- The seafood was bangin´. So fresh. The first night we had pulmay, a derivation of curanto- a shellfish dish with sausauge and potatoes, stewed underneath the ground! Pulmay was amazing-so amazing we ate it in 10 min-so amazing we ordered it for lunch the very next day. That night we ate another shellfish stew. The next day we ate another shellfish stew-to the point where Steve has put a indefinite moritorium on shellfish. The last night there we ate a dish full of potatoes and that was it. The mere mention of shellfish makes us both want to go anorexic.

And the lovely, unique religion? Well, have you ever been in a place and just felt like there was some bad juju goin on? Anguloeme anyone (anguleme was an equally soul scary town in France!)? This place was covered with that feeling. Even the cows looked at you funny. I mean, the people were nice, after the standard Chilean fashion, but somethin just...wasn´t right. It was kind of like The Shining.

It was all so terrible that we cut our trip of 4 days short to two, found a different town, and high-tailed it out of Castro, off of Chiloé, and onto the mainland.

And we didn´t even have to go to Cuba to be oppressed by Castro!

Happy out of Castro,

Melissa and Steve!

ps we will post more Chiloe pics, if you are at all interested to see them after this dismal story, after we get down to Puerto Natales

Tags: I should have known better!

 

Comments

1

Hey guys! That story was weird. Sounds kinda like Macon, GA which is straight out of a freaky horror movie..Anyway i just checked my voicemail and Jim called for Steve sometime while you guys were visiting me. Sorry! I have issues with timely voicemail...Sorry Jim!
Love you guys
Krissyd
p.s. boxer and rotti miss you and Vito is cute

  Kristen Oct 29, 2007 12:24 PM

2

uhmmm.....We'll u guys are on a trip together....I miss you both and i am really having a hard time with life right now. I could use someone to talk to.
Love
OCTAVIA

  Octavia Harrison Oct 31, 2007 12:40 AM

3

hey cuz sounds like you had a great first experience. lol

  angela Nov 1, 2007 5:59 AM

4

Weclome to the third world. What did you expect??? The world is not all sugar and spice. How is the drinking water? Any Montazomas revenge? Be careful. How do the people treat you? Do they treat you like friends of Pres. Bush? LOL Are there any rebels in that country? If so don't take sides. What about the food? Hugs Mike

  Mike Pimpinelli Nov 4, 2007 12:26 AM

5

!Que asco! what a great present chile had waiting for you! lolsz

OMG! i miss you guys so much northstar is getting more hectic by the minute and i need some comfort to get through it. i alwayz enjoyed coming to you guyz to talk and vent. you guyz are famous for listening. however from the pics it lookz lyk your having a great tym. thanks for the invite to come and stay in touch. i feel special :) anyway you have my email so i would be estatic if we could keep in touch. much luvv

--->tatiana<---

  tatiana Nov 6, 2007 9:45 AM

6

Beautiful! One never thinks of snow in Chile. You could be in the Alps. Looks like you two are having a wonderful life experience. I should have done same when I was your age. Hugs Mike

  Mike Pimpinelli Nov 20, 2007 2:40 PM

7

WRONG PLACE... to see pudu you should have gone to Chepu 38.5 Kms SW of Ancud on the Pacific Coast. If you take a 5 hour tour you could have had the chance to see PUDU, PENGUINS (MAGELLANIC & HUMBOLDT) and a wide range of birds as you get close to National Park of Chiloe - North Side -Chepu!!! The place offers eco-camping, hospedaje rural, kayak at dawn, sunken forests, the dead tree valley, Aulin Dunes, horse back riding, beaches, trekking along sea side paths and much more!!

  Amory Apr 1, 2008 12:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.