Existing Member?

Lizzie's Travels

Puno

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 15 July 2007 | Views [491] | Comments [2]

Well the late night bus to Puno was horrible.  We had gone from approx 2300m in Arequipa to 3900m.  Our bus driver was a complete nut case who overtook everything in sight then slammed on the breaks nearly forcing you out of your seat to take the hairpin corners.   I was not a happy camper, vomiting in the first bin I could find once off the bus.  Unfortunately for me (and my travelling companions!!)I continued with this delightful behaviour for the next 3 days!!!!  The girls were also feeling pretty rotten so all in all we didn´t have the best time in Puno.

To try and make ourselves feel better we went on a tour of the Inca funeral towers and surrounding ruins.  We also though we were going to the reed lakes on Lake Titticaca however it turned out our understanding of Spanish was not as good as we had thought.  Anyway, we thought we had a spare day in Puno in which to visit the lake however on our return to Puno we found out that there were massive (and violent) bus/train strikes. Our proposed bus to Cuzco was most likely not going to run, or was going to involve us getting off mid journey, walking 8kms with our luggage and having stones thrown at us.  We decided instead to book the last flight available for that week into Cuzco.  Unfortunately for us, the flights fom Puno were all booked so we had to take the formentioned night bus from hell back to Arequipa then fly to Cuzco. 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

That was me driving lizzie ... DG

  D Jul 21, 2007 10:06 AM

2

Have you been employed to put people off travelling to South America? Only kidding - all sounds par for the course! Savour every minute.

  Big Liz Jul 24, 2007 8:33 AM

About lizziewebber


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.