Existing Member?

Blame it on Jim Morrison She believed she could... and she did!

Paris by bike

FRANCE | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [1675] | Comments [14] | Scholarship Entry

It was Jim Morrison's grave and the sunset that caused all the trouble. We would have caught the last bus if I hadn't insisted on waiting to get that perfect shot. The sun setting over Paris, it's muted haze turning the Seine into river of molten gold was a photographer's dream but it was Jim's grave that made us late getting to the Eiffel Tower in the first place. By then the line for the elevator was too long so we climbed the stairs of the elegant Iron Lady. The view from the top was worth the effort.
We arrived earlier that day with only 10 hours to see Paris. After breathing in the beauty of Notre Dame Cathedral for too long, we climbed aboard a tourist bus and did some whirlwind sightseeing. We spent the morning exploring and having promised ourselves the obligatory champagne in Paris, we stopped for lunch and then went in search of Jim Morrison's resting place at Père Lachaise Cemetery.
With our limited French, and by that I mean practically nonexistent, we misunderstood maps and directions and ended up at Montmartre Cemetery instead. The upside to this meant we accidentally stumbled across Moulin Rouge, however it meant we were miles from the Eiffel Tower so we hurriedly caught a cab there, arriving late afternoon.
After our breathtaking climb, we ran to the bus stop, only to find that the last bus had left five minutes earlier. We had no more Euro on us so asked a cab driver if he accepted cards. He didn't and we were stuck. We had to get back to San Michael for a train to the airport and we had no idea how we were going to do that.
From out of the fading light, an angel stepped forward offering his services in a mixture of broken English, Pakistani and French. He assured us that he could get us through Paris on time with his bike taxi. With much trepidation we climbed into the back of the rickshaw and off he rode, pedalling as fast as his legs would take him, through the streets of Paris as darkness descended and the city lit up.
As he rode, he proved to be an amusing, if slightly breathless, guide. We meandered through the back streets of Paris, the breeze fresh in our faces, as the city started to sparkle even brighter against the darkness of the night. What we thought was going to be a disaster proved to be a highlight of our trip. It was a really delightful way of saying goodbye to Paris.
Next time I will know that one day is not enough time there but it was enough to fall deeply and irrevocably in love with the city of love.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

I hve just finished reading your story Livonne. The title is what got me interested as I'm a Jim Morrison fan. However, I absolutely loved your care free exploration of such a wonderful city! I have been to Paris but have never explored her sights via rickshaw - what a wonderful way to see the sights.

  Nomad Jun 21, 2015 6:41 PM

2

Thank you. It was indeed a great way to see the city. A bit scary to start with, but after the initial trepidation, we had a ball.

  Livonne Jun 21, 2015 6:44 PM

3

AWSOME Livvy..... so many things done in such a short time, places seen that were not meant to be seen, cultural experiences with the taxi driver..... fantastic journey

  annie brookes Jun 22, 2015 10:31 PM

4

Thank you Annie. It was way too quick, but I'm so glad I went. It has left me yearning to return.

  Livonne Jun 22, 2015 10:47 PM

5

Livonne, I loved your story. It was amusing, descriptive and made me long to visit Paris myself, hopefully for a slightly longer time. Can't wait to read of your journey back there as you can capture the atmosphere of the wonderful city so well, and your story left me wanting more.

  Ann Lewis Jun 23, 2015 9:20 AM

6

Thank you Ann. I was on a pilgrimage to my grandmother's home of Ireland and decided to make a side trip to Paris, only hoping to see the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. I had no idea I was going to fall so madly in love with the city of love.

  livonne Jun 23, 2015 9:28 AM

7

What a wonderful story. Its made me wish I could travel. Maybe in a few years :)

  Deb May Jun 23, 2015 9:41 AM

8

If you get the chance Deb, do it. Your world can only be made richer. Thank you!

  livonne Jun 23, 2015 9:43 AM

9

Thank you so much for taking me on a journey to a place I've never been too but feel as though I now have. Your story was captivating from start to finish. I totally enjoyed it. Thank you!

  Sandie Kemp Jun 23, 2015 10:26 AM

10

Thank you Sandie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was such an incredible day.

  livonne Jun 23, 2015 10:27 AM

11

Love it!

  elle Jun 23, 2015 10:45 AM

12

Thanks Elle :)

  livonne Jun 23, 2015 10:47 AM

13

What an inspiring story for everyone to read loved it Liv and can't wait to read more. Just wish I was fortunate enough to strike it rich and travel also.So many great spots i would like to visit as well as my homeland .Well done gorgeous lady xoxo

  Janelle Jun 23, 2015 12:23 PM

14

Thanks Janelle. A travel card that automatically topped itself up is on the top of my genie wish list lol. :)

  livonne Jun 23, 2015 12:25 PM

About livonne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.