Existing Member?

Young wanderlust Wanderlust is a strong desire to travel the world... 17 years old, with the world in front of my feet!

When you don't know what home is anymore

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [393] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

Home is where the heart is. Home is where you feel comfortable, where you get used to small things like catching the bus into the city, how to get around the place and enjoy the smallest things. But more importantly, home is where you find people you love and care about, and make friendships and memories you will keep within your heart forever.

My return date is creeping up rather quickly, and many emotions rushes through me when i think about it. I am in a state where I'm confused, I do not know where I belong anymore. Between these two worlds, where is my home? When I return to my bed which I left 11 months ago, will I feel at home again? Or will I miss the feeling of sleeping in my current bed, in this loving and caring hostfamily who has opened their hearts and let me become one of their daughters?

I am so extremely grateful, I have met some of the most amazing people in this year. I have gotten a best friend, a girl who explained to me why our friendship was so special, and that is because we knew it would not stay like this forever. I will not always be here, because I will return from this country in not too long. It must have been hard getting close to me, knowing I am just there for a set amount of time. That our friendship has an expiry date in one way. But after all, she made me her closest friend, and I am so thankful I've been blessed with an amazing friendship like this. As she carefully explained; We knew things wouldn't stay like this forever, so we have made the most out of every moment. Things such as short roadtrips up to Windy Point, small picnik breaks in green areas in this beautiful city and just moments with her nostalgia at the playground of her primary school.

When you live around it, your vision gets blurred and you do not realize how lucky you are to have all these wonderful things surrounding you. I think they have been amazing, and I think I contributed to open her eyes realizing how beatiful her homeplace is. I am so amazed by the opportunity I have to make her see her town with new eyes; through my eyes as a "tourist". In one way, I think she has fallen in love with the place again, just as I have.

Adelaide is my home. Oslo is my home. The world is my home.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Wow, this really touched me! I've been to Adelaide as an exchange student too, stayed there with a host family and I can completely understand what you are saying. I managed to stay friends with my host family and friends over there. It's been 10 years since I went there and we still meet up every now and then. But like you said: it will always be home to me too! <br>Nice entry! :)

  Leonie May 8, 2014 6:57 PM

About livew


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.