Existing Member?

Tanzania

Week 2-Planting and Partying

TANZANIA | Monday, 30 November 2009 | Views [733] | Comments [2]

The girls-that is what we call them, as our students are all female ranging from 13-16 years old-have worked really hard this week in the blistering sun.  It took us three days to double dig 24 beds, so we only have 3 to go and every student will have her own garden plot to plant in.  They are very proud of their work, as am I.  The sun has painted my shoulders pink and it stings to put on my backpack at the end of the day, no matter how much sun screen I put on. I can even feel it burning me through my long sleeve shirt.  Hapa jua cali sana-here the sun is very fierce.

Now that the beds are prepared we can begin to plant.  I plan on planting the mchicha (amaranth) first as a kind of cover crop and the best part about it is that they love to eat it as a cooked green.  We can also plant some to save seed from.  We will plant it over most of their beds so by the time they return from holiday they will have something to harvest, the bed will have more nutrients and water in it and it will hopefully be time to transplant some of the other veggies that we will start in a nursery bed as we don’t have any flats or trays.  Finding seed was an adventure in town, but I finally found some-they come in tin cans and most are from Holland (Sandra was happy), but I was able to find some local seeds as well.  Then I went to the market and found the pigeon pea and some sunflowers-each less than a dollar for a kilo (about 2.2 pounds).  We can also save seed from these.  I think the pea is eaten like a bean and the sunflowers seeds can be used for food or to make oil.

Over the weekend I travelled by bus to Dodoma-Tanzania’s capital-to spend time with some other volunteers.  Five of them, including Sandra, are from Holland, Beatrice was from Switzerland, Lydia from England, and Amy and I from the states.  We went out for pizza Friday night and Saturday we walked to the markets and bought food for the party.  In Holland, Sinta Klaus, or Black Pete, comes down the chimney rather than our old Saint Nick and like in the US there is a ton of traditional sweets served around this time.  At Renee’s house we cooked up lots of goodies, fresh bread and made an excellent dinner.  After dinner, all the volunteers arrived and we had drinks and snacks and then sat down for a gift exchange party.  It was hilarious.  We played a game similar to our “Yankee Gift Swap” but instead you use a dice and each number represents an instruction-such as pass your gift to the left or swap a gift for one you want, or trade seats with one person….it went on for about half an hour…presents ranged from DVDs, to African jewelry, to Holland mini flags, to lollipops.  After that we played another game-cause I guess this is what the Dutch do around this time of year-eat and play games.  It was so nice to meet so many new people and eat really good food.  I also really enjoy being around so many cultures, accents and languages. All the volunteers that will be here for 2 years or more have really nice houses that they have made really comfortable for themselves and decorated much like our own-I guess you have to if you want to feel at home while you are here.  The next morning we had a big brunch with crepes and fresh fruit, nutella, fruit smoothies, fresh bread, avocados, chai, coffee, and Speculaas-a fabulous Dutch dessert sent from Holland.

Life is good here-difficult and hot, but once you become accustomed to it, I can see why people stay for a couple of years.  The food is fresh and available, the people are kind and funny, the sun sharp, but present, the soil hard and thirsty, yet manageable over time.  On the bus ride home we passed a large petrol truck with a goat riding in the wind on top, tied by his neck for safety.  On the streets, bikes carry loads of firewood (see picture), large vessels of water, bags overflowing and tied with netting filled with charcoal.  Mama’s carry tables on their heads and babies on their backs, men sit in large groups in the shade of a mango tree for hours-all day even, beggars sit in the hot sun with missing feet or fingers, palms outstretched like soil silently waiting for rain.  Fruit carts line the streets with bananas and pineapples strung up like Christmas lights.  A tree is transformed into a sock market, as colorful pairs of socks are hung like apples on its branches.  People ask, “Mzungu, where are you going,” “I want to marry you,” or “Give me money,”.  Sometimes we call back, sometimes we pretend we just didn’t hear.  Yesterday I bought fresh honey sold in an old gin bottle.  You can find anything you need if you can follow the rules-and of course the rules are different when you are white.

I hope to update this blog once a week-so tune in next time if you would like to hear more! Also I love the feedback and comments so keep em coming!

Amani na upendo-Peace and love,

Linz

Comments

1

Hey My Girl! Sounds like you are continuing to do so many amazing things...you just blend right in to all the cultures that surround you. I hope you know how proud we are of you and all you are doing. Can't wait to see the gardens, share in the work and meet all the girls! Keep your wonderful stories coming...we can all imagine being there!!! Love you SOO much! mama xoxoxo

  Tari Scott Dec 2, 2009 12:29 AM

2

Linz,
I am a partner of Nurturing Minds and will be visiting the SEGA school in July of 2010.
I appreciate reading your blog, and I look forward to learning more about life and culture in Tanzania as I will be spending a month there.
Thanks again!
-Ashlie

  Ashlie Busone Jan 8, 2010 10:51 AM

About linzbroscott


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.