Existing Member?

Lil & Bren's Africa Adventure

Day 1 to 2

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 22 December 2012 | Views [184]

We arrived in Joburg at 8:30pm on Wednesday 19th of Dec. We were a little apprehensive getting out of the airport, however our driver was waiting right out of the baggage claim with a big sign with our names on it. We got to the hostel and checked in straight away and went to bed. The drive from the airport was a little surreal - seeing houses with fences (and barbed wire) stretching atleast 2 metres to keep out whatever danger is lurking.

We got up at 06:00am on Thursday the 20th and quickly got up and ready to meet our fellow travellers and left at 07:00am. We drove from Joburg to Kruger National Park and arrived around 04:00pm. We set up at the campsite and then went swimming in a rock pool and Bren had a go at the zip line over the lake. The campsite is sooo beautiful, our view is overlooking a stunning lake and we can see banana plantations. There are outdoor showers (which are much more glamoures than they sound) and we experienced it in what they call "Romantic lighting" - which really means limited lighting lol.

Today we got up at 04:15am to get ready and have breakfast to leave at 05:00am for our first game drive. Wow today was amazing, by 07:00am we had seen zebra and buffalo. As the day went on we saw lion, lots and lots of elephants (all bulls, roaming on their own), rhino's,, giraffes, hippos, turtles, and chamelions.

The actual national park spans 2million hectares - as big as israel. Just before you enter the park, there are lots of houses (poorly built), and the communities are living in poverty. There is a small fence around the park and apparently the animals never escape.

Well that's it for now. I've had a few beers at the outdoor bar with my little fox terrier friend sitting on my lap. We're about to have dinner and then tomorrow morning we leave for Botswana to go to the next national park Chobe, where we'll hopefully see leopard and much more.

If I don't get a chance to get on here before xmas, hope you have the best day and relax together, eating and drinking.

Lots and lots of love

Lily & Brenno

About lillian_butler

Perth

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.