Existing Member?

The Lone Adventures of Li-Lu

Wine, Napier and the dirty pint!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 31 March 2008 | Views [589]

Loved Napier! We arrived about 4pm and stayed at a hostel called stables lodge. Picked up shopping and overheard talks of a ring of fire game going on later that night at the hostel (a drinking game with playing cards). We still had tequila so decided to join in. by the time we began only 3 people were left in the game, being a seasoned player of the ring from my uni days we got stuck in. Me being the idiot started bragging about how i never pull out kings in this game, yes i pulled out 3....including the last one which meant i had to down my first dirty pint! (A mix of everyones drinks at the table in one pint glass...not nice). All downhill from there as we finished the tequila, scoffed some banana and choc chip cookies (yum!) and went to the local irish bar rosie o'gradys! I myself thought i was doing fine, however Dains video of me trying to walk tells otherwise!

Woke feeling hideous but after brekkie we headed to town. Walked down to the beach which was being pounded by huge waves, really cool to see. the weatehr was boiling hot, really mediterranean! There was a market on in the car park so we wandered through and pottered about hte stalls. Napier is just beautiful, far prettier than any other city iv been to, the art deco buildings make it really special. Due to having the freedom of the car we decided to stay another night here and stopped for a lunch of a good ole kiwi pie at the Jaffa Pie Co!! Yum yum!

We drove out to Crab Farm Winery (where the owner of the Vineleaf Restaurant in St Andrews recommended) and Dain enjoyed the wine tasting (i was driving)...we bought a bottle of their new Traminer Pinot Gris which was a lovely white wine. Had antoher early night as i was suffering and decided we would get up early and go see the sunrise on Bluff Hill...the highest point in Napier which looked out East to the sea. We sat there from 6.45am until 7.30am and saw nothing as for the first time in ages NZ decided to be overcast that day. Nice views over Hawkes Bay atleast! 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.