Existing Member?

The Lone Adventures of Li-Lu

Windy Wellington!!

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 29 March 2008 | Views [516]

So Im on my way to Wellington. Been chilling in Taupo for the last few days , glad of it as tiredness hit after our 4 days hiking. Dain's birthday yesterday ended with us both falling asleep after a couple of shots of tequila. Hehe was a nice and well deserved break though, just spent the day lounging around. Starting to realise how quickly time is going here, leave for OZ in 3 weeks!! Looking forward to our trip east in a few days then going up to Paihia again for a weeks relaxation as we both love it up there and Dain has some good contacts!! Got ripped off for dorms for the next two nights, $33 a night!!! Found out the rugby is on in Wellington so we are going to try and get tickets.

So arrived in Wellington and it seems very much like any other city in NZ. Not that beautiful, think the only way to see it would be on a boat to the South. saving money so headed to the Te Papa Museum which is the free national museum. Really cool place which began with learning about earthquakes and volcanoes that make up so much of NZ history. Saw an exhibition on the history of flora and fauna of NZ and how the settlers introduced a lot of non indigenous creatures and plants when they arrived. Really sad to see how many species were wiped out by the ignorance of the white europeans. The top floor held the Maori exhibits and Pacific artefacts. So intrigued by Maori culture, it is really fascinating and i love finding out more and more about it.

Managed to get tickets to the rugby, Hurricanes (wellingtons home side) and the Crusaders. We went supporting the Hurricanes which turned out to be the bad choice as they got their backsides kicked!! Was good fun even though we had awful seats and i spent the game squinting to see the ball (thats with my glasses on)!! Awesome though, glad i went. Had an early nioght after a cuple of beers at the game - beer was served in plastic 400ml bottles, very bizearre but strangely good, felt like a soft drink!! hehe.

Picked up our rental car for the next 9 days....a super duper toyota sprinter vintage...oh yes in beige! Hilarious as i got into the front seat after rinsing Dain about driving on the right blah blah...Went to set off and tried to find the gear stick!! It was an automatic which iv never driven in my life! HAHA dain was wetting himself as it seemed he would be better at driving than me! Soon got used to it until I went to indicate and turned the windscreen wipers on and off!! Uh oh, stupid woman!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.