Existing Member?

The Journey of a Nomad Follow your heart and you'll find your dreams.

The Morning Chorus of Padang Bai

INDONESIA | Monday, 1 April 2013 | Views [461]

I am very aware that every time I turn over in my sleep, the entire bed shakes. With every movement, I’m silently apologizing to the English girl sleeping on the bottom bunk. As I roll over in the darkness for what seems like the millionth time, music starts to play. Loud chanting soon follows and in the darkness before dawn, the small village of Padang Bai comes to life. As the loud religious worship fades to a close, the sky begins to light with the rising sun and the roosters take the stage. For a full two hours, the hundreds of roosters in the village below cry out, making sure everybody knows a new day is beginning.

I crawled down from my squeaky bunk bed as the window begins to let light in. I silently apologized for the last time to the English girl below me, hoping I didn’t keep her up all night.  Bali in the glow of the first morning light is just as beautiful as it is at all other times of day. I love how green and lush everything is. The red roofs of the Padang Bai contrast the green jungle in the hills surrounding the bay, The varying shades of blue sparkle in their own unique glory as colorful boats gently rock to and fro. I love it here. 

Tags: bali, morning, roosters, sunrise

 

About libertywickman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.