Existing Member?

Kiwi Goes Global

Living the High Life in St Andrews

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 6 June 2011 | Views [900] | Comments [1]

St Andrews Golf Course.

St Andrews Golf Course.

It was a fun few days in St Andrews, pretending I was part of the elite social class that golfs there/that I was some kind of intellectual masters student.  Neither of which are likely to happen any time soon... or ever. 

So, here's some stuff which went on.

  • Fancy dinner at the Seafood Restaurant, with brilliant views - but prices to account for it!
  • Wandering the classy streets of St Andrews, passing kilt shops, expensive boutiques, and a couple of tea-shops, if I remember correctly.
  • Scottish tablet ice-cream eating, and Irn Bru drinking (the former is super-sweet, the latter tastes like pink bubblegum flavouring). Yes, my plan was to overdose on Scottish-ness.
  • Interesting facts RE Irn Bru (you can read it in the link above, but hey) it's a soft drink that sells better than Coke in Scotland!  According to Wikipedia, it was invented when the steel workers rebuilding Glasgow Central Station were dying because they were drinking too much beer to quench their thirst.  Some local soft drink manufacturer approached the company, and the rest is history.
    But, I dunno... ever heard of water, guys?!
  • Drinks in posh hotel-like places.
  • Listening to noisy Spanish-speaking tourists in the cathedral and castle ruins... and trying to understand their guide to get some free historical info.  ;p
  • Admiring the impossibly-perfect lawns of the golf course.
  • Eating ice-cream in the cemetery... er, I mean, cathedral ruins.  (You have to choose the right side for it not to be weird.)
  • Going up the tower in the cathedral ruins and admiring a view that could entertain for hours... if only you didn't have to listen to some Aussie rabbiting on about himself and his travels in order to try to impress some girls who asked him to take a photo for them.
  • Speaking of rabbits, they are EVERYWHERE in St Andrews.  Have never before seen so many bunnies in a short time!
  • A trip to East Sands, on a brilliant St Andrews day.
  • The discovery of brilliant, stawberry-flavoured cider, and a cocktail called something like 'mint chocolatini,' which was like a glass of after dinner mint.

I feel like I've forgotten stuff, but I'll keep adding when it comes back to me!

Tags: castle, cathedral ruins, irn bru, rabbits, scotland, scottish tablet, st andrews

 

Comments

1

I had Irn Bru when I was in Scotland!!

  Siobhan Jun 8, 2011 9:15 AM

About libby-k8

Moi, up Mont St Clair in Sète, with my wee Kiwi, Kingi.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.