Existing Member?

Kiwi Goes Global

Random Reflections on London

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 May 2011 | Views [758] | Comments [2]

Howdy folks...

Well, after stressing, first about the volcanic cloud and then about actually getting to my plane in time for check-in (stupid journey to the airport took just over 2 hours.  Damn Toulouse traffic making the shuttle take its maximum of 45 minutes).  But it all worked out fine.  I had 10 minutes to spare.  ;p


And then I arrived in the London area.  Some random reflections...

  • Only here will you go through such brilliantly-named stations as: Clapham Junction, Dorking, and Barking.
  • I stepped out of London Victoria station; it was raining and, within about a minute, I saw black taxis and red double-decker buses.  Yep, I was in London.
  • Is it just me, or are there police officers everywhere here?  Every time I see them, the theme song from The Bill keeps running through my head.
  • On the subject of ideas received from tv programmes, there actually are so many houses that make me think of Coronation Street.  Kind of, anyway.
  • I got a Bacon Butty in a pub, and the guy that served me was like 'here you go, luv.'
  • It is not a good idea to cross bridges over the Thames in wind and rain.  There is no shelter.  The rain will come at you sideways.  Your umbrella will not be big enough.  You will get drenched.
  • Every 5 minutes or so, you will find something that takes you back to playing Monopoly as a child.
  • Every school group (almost) will be a French one.
  • People in London speak English.  You don't have to feel like you're 'cheating' by speaking to people in your native language.  However, they do seem quite keen on French brand bakeries.
  • They drive on the left side of the road.  Yeah.  Just when you got used to being on the right in France.  Ha!
  • London has a New Zealand shop.
  • Border control people are very 'interested' in what you are doing during your stay here, what your profession is,what your last job before that was, how long you'll be here... etc.
  • I've never been to England before, yet it almost feels like home...  Guess we still have a kind of little Britain thing going on.

Tags: london, new zealander, observations, travel

 

Comments

1

The customs people were just scared that you wouldn't leave, heaps of New Zealanders and Australians are overstayers. And it's so true about the French school groups!!

  Siobhan May 27, 2011 10:04 PM

2

Love the reflections Lib! I wish I was still there :) Enjoy it xx

  Anna Yardley Jun 1, 2011 7:43 PM

About libby-k8

Moi, up Mont St Clair in Sète, with my wee Kiwi, Kingi.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.