Existing Member?

Global Music, Connecting Cultures Stories from the Rajasthani Road... from world music ensemble LIBANA

Dentistry in India

USA | Friday, 18 February 2011 | Views [2179] | Comments [1]

A reassuring sign for the dentist in Jaipur!  (photo: Cheryl Weber)

A reassuring sign for the dentist in Jaipur! (photo: Cheryl Weber)

Who knew we would need a dentist while in India?  My son Jared is traveling with Libana on this trip and his lower wisdom tooth chose this time to assert it's presence screaming it's need to come out NOW!  Being in Jaipur and away from our friends at AES, we had to rely on our tour guide to take us to a dentist that was reliable and clean.  

Jared arrived at the dentist early in the morning after three days of a tooth ache.  First an exam by Dr. Shweta Sharma... yes the tooth will need to come out!  But a full mouth xray at another location was needed and then return to the office at 4:00 pm.  We hired a tuktuk to take us for the xray, picked up prescriptions, ate a big lunch and spent the day in the Old City of Jaipur.  At the Krishna Temple, we watched young women preparing for a performance of classical Indian dance that evening, in the bazaar we walked among the unbelievable mixture of housewares, colorful clothing, food, and people.  The scared cows roamed the streets as did the stray dogs and monkeys.  After our day of photographing the city and it's people we headed back to the dentist. 

The husband of the woman who had examined Jared that morning was actually in charge of the procedure.  We were ushered in before the line of Indian people who were waiting to be seen by the doctor (this felt pretty weird) and from the xray it was determined that the procedure would be straight-forward. 

Twenty minutes later Jared's wisdom tooth was removed and we were on our way.  All of this for the cost of 1050r, which is about $35!  Perhaps we'll have to come back to India to have all our dental work done.   Jared is doing fine and is keeping his tooth as a memento of this unexpected experience.   

Cheryl

 

Comments

1

so glad your story had a happy ending! Can't wait to see you to hear more in person....though I imagine you're not interested in rushing home.love, Janet

  Janet Feb 19, 2011 1:22 PM

About libana

Libana: Global Music, Connecting Cultures

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.