Existing Member?

A Spirited Lens

Velvet Crush

USA | Tuesday, 14 April 2015 | Views [387]

Accordian at Largo. Neil Finn played this during an aftershow on April 12, 2015

Accordian at Largo. Neil Finn played this during an aftershow on April 12, 2015

Los Angeles is a city of broken charm. Like a pair of Angels wings wrapped in crushed velvet this wood promises a touch of stardom at every turn for tourists like me seeking a brush with fame only to be turned away by the finality of each ubiquitous velvet rope. Largo is no exception. If not for a couple of diehard Finn friends, I might still be standing on the wrong side of red, dreaming of better times. Within a few fleeting minutes of ticket buying frenzy, my friends and I found ourselves with tickets for not one, but TWO Finn shows at Largo, and the promise of an intimate evening with Neil, Liam and a few surprise guests at this 288 seat venue.

A day spent baking in the sun to insure a set of up-close-and-personal seats paid off well, with our score of fourth row center seats, we were sure not to miss a beat, or passing comment from this irreverent bunch of musical hooligans, and thanks to a hugely respectful audience, and a well-appointed sound crew, I heard nearly every whispered word, swish and ping.

In true Finn-at-Largo fashion, Sunday's show opened with an unexpected surprise: for three full minutes we were treated to a glimpse of Finn skin as Liam and Neil, in nearly identical striped boxers, wrestled, splashed and frolicked across what appeared to be Hawaiian seaside rocks. Keen eyes were treated to a glimpse beyond the velvet curtain as the family jewels passed subliminally over our stunned retinas - although the owner of this royal flush will likely remain one more unresolved Finn mystery. The audience was in stitches, and we instantly knew all bets were off for this night.

As the screen exited stage right, Neil stepped smartly to the Viking-topped upright as Liam strapped on his guitar and the audience immediately fell into a deeply respectful silence. The walls of this dear old theatre resonated as the first few notes from the Game of Thrones theme, skillfully interpreted by kings Finn.

The first clear notes of Edible Flowers waft into the room and an audible sigh breathes through the audience. One of my perennial favorites, tonight's version was enhanced by Liam's vocal intro followed by father and son easily trading lead and backing vocal positions. Neil's nimble fingers moved effortlessly across worn keys, while Liam added a ghostly atmospheric perfection to this lovely ballad. And unlike many other shows that I've been to, the Largo audience maintained a reverent silence well past the last resonating note.

Throughout the night Neil and friends maintained an exuberant tone within this friendly, intimate set that included outstanding songs from Liam's extensive catalog, a few rarities from Neil's and some lovely, unexpected twists on a few classic Finn tunes.

The setlist:

  1. Game of thrones
  2. Edible flowers
  3. Spill he Light
  4. English Trees
  5. Fire in your belly
  6. Snug as f%*#
  7. Wherever you are
  8. Sinner
  9. Driving me mad
  10. Diversions
  11. Karekare
  12. Help is coming
  13. Shadow of your man
  14. Neurotic
  15. Second chance
  16. Gentle Dave
  17. I'll be lightning
  18. Ocean emmanuelle
  19. Better than tv
  20. Cold feet
  21. Flying in the face of love
  22. Moonage daydream

 

About lhartjen

self portrait 2

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.