Existing Member?

Due South (and a little West)

Shy Dolphins And Very Cute Penguins!!!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 7 January 2008 | Views [1433] | Comments [5]

Well, after New Year I embarked on a fly-by trip down the West Coast, South of Perth - this time only covering 1000km - so much milder than my exploits before Xmas!

Headed off towards Margaret River - a wine making region but for once not the focus of my visit!!! Headed down to Cape Leeuwin, mainly because a friend who'd travelled the West Coast before instructed me that I HAD to get a picture of me where the Indian Ocean and Southern Ocean meet!!! (Haha... very poor excuse, I know, but she'd also said the scenery was great so I felt it was justified!!!) It was an impressive stretch of coastline - cragged rocks and aggressive waves... perfect for a miss-timed photo of me trying not to topple backwards into the ocean 'Harold Bishop' style!!!

Further up the coast we reached the famed Margaret River - unfortunately not with enough time to do the 'Bush Tucker Canoe Trip' which sounded like great fun!!! Gutted!!! Although probably a lucky escape as i'm not entirely sure how much of the bush-tucker grubs (yep - just like on 'I'm a Celebrity' - URGHHH!!!) would have been suitable for a vegetarian!!! (Although I would have had sooo much fun laughing at the meat-eaters!!!) The town was nice, and the beaches looked awesome (admittedly - this seems to be a recurring theme in Australia so I appologise for repeating myself!!!) We saw one or two of the huge limestone caves around the area aswell.

Bussleton was our next stop - a town that has a wooden (and slightly wobbly!!) jetty, which is 2km long!!! At the very far end of the jetty is an underwater observatory. The bizarre thing was - apparently there is normally a little train running along the jetty for the elderly / infirm / plain lazy, but it was off the day of our visit - which is a shame as I would love to have known how the rickety little jetty withstood some sort of train travelling on it!!! Crazy!!! I even overheard a few young kids telling their parents that it was 'far to dangerous to be walking on'!!! An over-exaggeration, but I still struggle to envisage that train!!!

Bunberry was where we had the opportunity to swim with some rather shy dolphins!!! (We saw loads following the boat closely, swimming, jumping, diving... but when we were in the water they weren't overly keen on interacting!!!) Admittedly, I'm not suprised... our guide from the Dolphin Conservation Center encouraged us to 'entertain the dolphins'... to duck dive, dance and sing in the water... As our group were from all over the place - we had to find a song that everyone knew the lyrics to... And frankly, I have to admit, if I was a dolphin, I too would probably be pretty reluctant to get to close to a bunch of loonies jumping around in the water singing 'Row, Row, Row Your Boat'!!! But the snorkelling was great fun, even from a distance!!!

Last stop - Penguin Island, where loads of 'little penguins' live!!! The smallest breed of penguin (could you have guessed it from the name?!)they were very cute!!! There is nothing on the Island other than the conservation centre, a few good beaches, great snorkelling, and lots of wildlife, but it's quite close to the mainland, so we opted to wade across rather than catch the little ferry - quite good fun, especially for me - as the tallest I found great amusement in watching the others descend to chest height in water!!! (Although it was calm enough and warm enough to swim, so we weren't too concerned - did however hear a small child talking about the 'shark attack on the sand bar' - hoped they were just joking!!!)

Anyway... only a few days left in Perth now, which is quite sad... I've had so much fun... but i'm sure the rest of my adventures will be great... and my sister will probably be relieved to have her house back, minus house guest and alot tidier without me!!!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Well, the house certainly seems quieter and emptier without you. I'm missing my partner in crime already!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your adventures. Enjoy! xx

  Andrea Cooper Jan 10, 2008 7:43 PM

2

sorry i missed your call - gutted! am loving hearing about your adventures!

speak to you soon xx

  Gemma Bradbury Jan 11, 2008 1:50 AM

3

How come Gemma got a call....blasphemy lol

Looks like you are having a fantanstic time over there. Neve is trying to roll over and sitting up now.

We are all missing you back home, have fun, and we will see you sometime this year

From what I hear of Al back home, Andrea might have had a lucky time in the tidiness stakes

  Richard Egginton Jan 12, 2008 8:08 AM

4

Hi Alexa, You forgot to mention that the first thing we read about at Exmouth (Page 9 of Northern Guardian dated December 12th) was "After six months Warroora shark attack survivor Becky Cooke can finally say her leg has been saved" - "In May, the Ellenbrook mother of five was attacked by a shark while standing in shallow water at Pelican Point on Warroora Station" - "She was standing in less than knee deep water and carrying her three year old son when a small shark, believed to be a Mayo or bull shark bit a chunk from the back of her leg". Want to swim with the Dolphins again?

  George Cooper Jan 13, 2008 4:59 AM

5

Hey Cooper

Always good to hear about you and your legs! Glad to see you've been making your way around Australia's watering holes (one way or another) and that the adventures continue. It's good to see you're making the most of it.
Not much news from home shores, Allardyce has been sacked, they tried to get Redknapp but he didn't fancy the cold weather (and I'm not sure if I really want to see him standing on the terraces barechested like the rest of the loony toons!) Rumour has it's going to be Shearer or Hughes. Either way they just got whacked 6-0 by man U. I'll keep my fingers cross things improve for you and the lads! Other then that a fair bit of interest in the American election primaries, Big brother has got talented young people with celebrities as big brother.. but no audience, gareth gates is on strictly come x factor ice dancing or something and my little niece has now learnt to sit up, look cute and gurgle- not much you may say but those three things have got me where I am today! I'll let you get on but keep up the good work. I'm just back from watching some of my kids in a panto - the rock n roll life of a primary school teacher! Night matey, take it easy.

  Tom Jan 13, 2008 10:15 AM

About lex


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.