Existing Member?

A City of Hidden Gems

A Coastal Paradise

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [203]

When people travel to New Zealand they end up in the big towns, Auckland and Hamilton, but on the North Island there is a coastal town rich with history, diversity and a walkway which offers quiet and peaceful thinking. 

New Plymouth is a coastal paradise just waiting to be explored and appreciated. Commonly known as the art hub of New Zealand this small town has not just art to offer, even though art of all forms is clearly evident. The whole Taranaki region hosts major festivals such as WOMAD and the Festival Of Lights every year which attracts thousands of visitors to New Zealand.  The Festival Of Lights  engulfs the entire park area with ingenious designs and illusions for individuals of all ages. Before the lights are switched on at night the area is alive with concerts and acrobats, mimes and clowns entire the children and the food is amazing. Once the sunsets the park becomes picturesque. A school of floating octopus and light reflective balls seem to enchant the children and photographers alike.

For concert and music lovers WOMAD is the experience of a lifetime. The atmosphere among the concert goers and performers is intoxicating and for even the less know artists performing during WOMAD is an experience that will not be forgotten. The weather in New Plymouth can make WOMAD somewhat unpleasant for those of an older generation but for those of you who are young and looking for fun this is perfect.

The landscapes are a travellers dream. Rolling farm hills and the exquisite Mount Taranaki combined with beautiful sunsets and sunrises can fill any photographer with jubilation. For those with a higher taste of adventure New Plymouth offers snowboarding and skiing on Mount Taranaki's snow capped mountains and surfing in the somewhat chilly Pacific Ocean. 

The culture lovers will find New Plymouth as a one way stop to heaven. Second hand bookstores combined with a quaint museum filled with history provide ensure that New Plymouth is a town that should be on any New Zealand travellers list.

Tags: beaches, lights, new plymouth, new zealand, womad

About letrishamouton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.