Existing Member?

A City of Hidden Gems

A City of Many Faces

ITALY | Monday, 5 May 2014 | Views [171] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I set foot in Venice I was in awe. The sea spray mixed the smell of wine and, of course, pizza was intoxicating. In every direction Venetian Gothic architecture gave an ominous greeting as the plague doctor masks adorned by the famous gondoliers came into view across the canal.

Music and laughter filled the morning air as restaurants opened their doors and tourists began to fill the streets of Venice. In every direction shop owners display their merchandise with a classic Venetian flare. Masks, costumes combined with jewelry and pizza filled my senses. For a tourist this can be overwhelming and the urge to buy one, or more, of everything will be gigantic but it will be worth it.

At the center of all the chaos and buildings are parks safely nestling the peaceful and quiet individuals. Fountains and bird feeders combined with trees and benches filled with photographers taking a rest.

The amount of history that the streets of Venice contain is enormous. Between the churches and museums in Venice a tourist will never run out of places to visit and a writer will forever be inspired. Countless fiction novels and non-fiction biographies have been written centered along the art and hidden secrets Venice has to offer. Museums and churches contain art in many forms all inspired or created my famous artists from around the world.

Traditions in Venice have been the same for years, a tradition which is celebrated around the world is the Carnival of Venice. The masks and costumes create an anonymous beauty in the streets and a mysterious attraction towards the city.

The most unexpected experience in Venice would be when I walked into a bookstore and found myself looking at the most beautiful sight I have yet to surpass. I have spent many hours wondering around my home city and around bookstores and libraries but nothing presented a more hidden gem than the city if Venice.

Your experience of Venice would strongly depend on where you chose to stay and which sights you plan on seeing. There are museums and buildings which are on every tourist guide you could obtain but my advice to any tourist in Venice would be to explore on your own without a tour guide and find the hidden gems and secrets which Venice has to offer.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About letrishamouton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.