Existing Member?

Lesley and Jan in Palau

Kayangel

PALAU | Monday, 13 April 2015 | Views [364]

Kayangel lagoon and reef

Kayangel lagoon and reef

Imagine 4 tiny coral islands in the Pacific Ocean - that is Kayangel.  Unique in Pala, Kayangel and the 3 tiny islands that make up this chain are low lying coral atolls.  That means they are vulnerable to high tides, storms and typhoons.  2 typhoons have been through recenty - Bopha and Haiyan.  You can see from the picture the devastation caused.  Most buildings were impacted in some way; trees and essential services knocked out.  Also the invasion of salt water meant no crops could be grown.

Fast forward 15 months and life is returning to normal for the 50 residents (not all have returned yet).  There are new houses and abeautiful new school that can also be used as a typhoon shelter.  Trees and gardens are blossoming and birds abound.

We were on Kayangel for 4 days to conduct a plant and pest survey.  Unfortunately a side effect of storms is they open up areas to weeds, and invasive species can enter via traffic (contractors vehicles, barges, etc) or come on the wind.  We found some new pest plants as well as the Coconut Rhinocerous beetle which devastates coconut trees.  The good news is that natural resilience is returning; plus the hard work of the locals.  Cleaning up is ongoing and plantsing of key crops such as taro has started.

We had a fabulous 4 days staying in the local bai (meeting house) and being taken around by the Rangers.  We also managed to snorkel in the clearest waters I have ever seen!

 

 

Travel Answers about Palau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.