Existing Member?

Lesley and Jan in Palau

Yap

PALAU | Thursday, 19 February 2015 | Views [422]

Welcome!

Welcome!

Mogethin from Yap!  I am here for a week to induct the new Micronesia Challenge Coordinator who will take over from me.  Yap is the most beautiful serene place and possibly the most traditional north pacific island.  The main town, Colonia is tiny but charming and right on the lagoon.  Yap proper is the largest island and there are several habited outer islands.  

Yap keeps many of its traditions alive such as weaving and dance.  I have been fortunate enough to go to some of the villages which have beautiful traditional thatched houses and stone paths.

A unique feature of Yap is the traditional stone money.  The (originally white) stone actually comes from Palau several hundred miles away.  It was carved into huge circular pieces with a central hole, rather like a giant donut.  The value was based on size, quality and age of the stone.  The stones are still held in stone money banks in the villages and can be used for large purchases such as land.

Manta Rays are one of the special things I wanted to see here.  They are currently in breeding season and often seen at cleaning stations where they come to be cleaned by special cleaner fish.  Check out this YouTube clip:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFSyv59V-0  We are on a boat tomorrow so fingers crossed!.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Palau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.