Existing Member?

Lesley and Jan in Palau

Independence Day

PALAU | Friday, 3 October 2014 | Views [342]

Palau National Flag

Palau National Flag

A few days for a meeting in Guam and then I island hopped back home to Palau.  Straight into celebrations for Independence on 1 October.  

Palau has been independent for 20 years so is one of the world's youngest countries.  The flag was adopted in 1981.  The blue field is representative of governmental independence, and not of the Pacific Ocean. And it is not the sun rather the golden moon which features because it is symbolic of peace.  The Palauans consider the full moon to be the best time for numerous activities, including the planting and harvesting of crops, local celebrations, and much more. It is exciting to share indpendence with ayoung country with lots of hope for the future.

Celebrations went on for many days and included boat races, fireworks, walks, long ceremonies, etc!  And of course at the centre of every event - food!  Nothing happens without a buffet or at least snacks.  On finishing our races we are greeted with doughnuts.  No fancy sports nutrition here.

We participated in the swim race and outrigger canoe races on the Saturday. As always I won the 1.5km swim category because no one else swam it!  Jan has had a lot more practice and went for the 3km.dot  The canoe races were brutal and my team managed a third.  We got little certificates and our photo in the paper - and doughnuts.

After that another important cultural event - AFL Grand Final!  So we went for a pool party at the Aus Navy house.  See us all enjoying a beer!

Note: I am starting a culture and history photo album; more to come.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Palau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.