Existing Member?

Cambodia volunteering adventure

Hanoi ...and farewell Asia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 21 May 2012 | Views [1257]

Magical Halong Bay

Magical Halong Bay

After Hoi An we travelled to Hue which is the city of the perfumed river.  A lovely city with an amazing Citadel to explore. We had a few days exploring the river and cycling. 

Then another long overnight bus into Hanoi.  If Hue is lift music then Hanoi is acid punk rock!  The city has a genteel fee until you get to the Old Quarter which rocks!.

Based in the Old Quarter we took our chances with the 2 million motorbikes on the street every time we stepped out of the guest house.  There are hundreds of small streets and lanes to explore selling everything you can imagine.  Or it goes by on a cart if you wait long enough.  We had favourite corners for coffee (cold, black with condensed milk) and Bia Hoi (the wonderful light fresh beer).

We also did trips to Halong Bai and Mai Chau.  Halong Bay is as magical as the pictures - except I was saddened by the oil slicks and rubbish.  But this is pressure of people and over 3,000 tourists a day.  We stayed overnight on a boat discoing until the early hours.  We also went to Cat Ba island and did a short walk in the park for magnificent views.

Mai Chau was a gorgeous rural area with emeral rice fields and abackdrop of mountains.  We stayed ina homestay which is a large room with bamboo floor.  We had great food, saw local dancing by the White Thai people, explored the hills and jumped in a lake with water buffalo.  So a fitting end to an amazing adventure.

Sadly we arrived at Hanoi airport to take a plane to Europe - realising shabby shorts and thongs might not cut it! 

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.