Existing Member?

Cambodia volunteering adventure

What's heart shaped and squeals like a strangled cat at 4am?!

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 10 November 2011 | Views [1214]

Wedding at CCT

Wedding at CCT

Answer: A Cambodian Wedding tent!  It is November, the rains are almost over and Cambodian Wedding season is here.  That means stripey tents with heart shaped entrances and plastic decorations appearing all over town. 

Couples choose a date via a fortune teller and then the tents appear!  You do not get much notice - when I asked why we only knew about the wedding a few days before they said otherwise people would forget!  No fridges to put the invites on I suppose.

The wedding itself consists of a long ceremony with many costume changes and a symbolic hair cutting.  There is also a parade.  But each event begins with howlng music at 4ish to alert everyone to get ready.  With at least one wedding per street there is no possibility we would sleep in.

Reently the wedding in the picture was held for one of the girls at CCT - Sineit who was marrying Huni.  It was a real fun affair and ended with us all breakdancing; before they dismantled the tent to take it away for the next wedding.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.