Existing Member?

Cambodia volunteering adventure

Life in Battambang

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 4 August 2011 | Views [957]

My fruit lady

My fruit lady

You probably wonder what life is like in Battambang unless you have been to Cambodia.  But even then it is different from Phnom Penh or Siem Reap.  For a start there are few Westerners.  Tourists tend to come here for one day or so to see the Bamboo Train and some of the temples.

Battambang is a typical rural provincial city.  Plenty of activity - but in a sleepy way.  The Stung Sangke river runs through the middle with some interesting river walks and bridges.  There is a large market in the centre whch sells everything - you need frogs for dinner?  Or maybe some new plastic flowers for your decor.  It's all there.  The meat area I avoid - even if I ate meat there is no way I could identify most items! 

There are also regular shops - but it can be really hit and miss what you find inside.  But everyone is pretty helpful and pointing works well.

Transport is by bike.  We have pretty good bikes.  CCT has set up a polio victim with his own repair business so he ensures our wheels keep turning.  Navigating and getting around is easy - you just keep going and weave your way through.  Cycling on the right is no harder because half the time you are in the middle getting across.  They do have a driving school - but I don't know what they teach!

I am off to the market now and the bakery.  You get great baguettes for 25 cents.  Prices are pretty good - as long as you don't want cheese or similar imports.  the gym costs 37 cents a session.  Yes, I should go more!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.