Existing Member?

Cambodia volunteering adventure

We have arrived in Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Friday, 22 July 2011 | Views [409]

Monks

Monks

Fri 22 July.  After a freezing last night in Adelaide (thanks Gwen and Ken for housing us); we flew to Phnom Penh via Singapore.  Singapore is the Switzerland of Asia; whereas Phnom Penh is true Asia.

Arriving was a calm affair with a very organised airport and visa system.  Staying for a year no problem.  Then a Tuk Tuk to our hotel.  It was hot and fairly humid - but has only rained on day 3.

Jan immediately set about beer tasting. Angkor is the favourite as it can be as cheap as .50cents during happy hour.  Happy hours tend to be 7am to midnight here.

Food is great too and no problem not eating meat.  Going through the market I am glad I don't eat fish as there are some really weird looking ones! And I could mention bananas at .50cents a bunch.

Phnomn Penh is a lovely city with beautiful colonial buildings.  The Royal Palace and National Museum are highlights.  People are friendly and it is easy to wander around.

Today we went to the scene of the Khmer Rouge atrocities.  Firstly a school that was used to house and torture the victims; then the Killing Fields.  It is impossible to describe how terrible it is; and so amazing to meet one of the survivors of the torture who posed for a photo with Jan. 

So after a last wander in the rain we say farewell - and off to Battambong!

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.