Existing Member?

Beyond Our Conestoga

The price of fish

LAOS | Sunday, 7 March 2010 | Views [363] | Comments [1]

So as Laos is a land locked country you wouldn't expect a whole lot a seafood.  The contrary being we've had more seafood here than anywhere else (we've also spent twice as much time).  The price for fish has been quite surprising.  The first point we crossed in at Huay Xai produced the best fish in Laos, but was only 20,000 kip (about $2.40).  The prices have jumped up and down all over from lower to 10-15K a fish in the cities to 30-50K in the islands.  Now the islands are where a majority of the fishing takes place.  During the rainy season its not uncommon for a fisherman to bring in a ton of fish in a day (A remarkable fet considering how they do it, but thats another post).  I think a conspiracy has transpired on the island we're staying at.  Maybe falang price structure, are justly provided price.  But I know that a fish freshly caught only cost 5K.  So the plot thickens...

Comments

1

I miss you guys on Sunday's.

But I'm glad you're both doing your part to eat as much sea life as possible!

  Mike Mar 8, 2010 6:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.