Existing Member?

For we had no road. //

Our backs to the wind.

HONDURAS | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [122] | Scholarship Entry

I don't even know how I got there but I'm glad I did. What I learned from it was infinite. I met people who had little but didn't hesitate to give you everything.

We arrived at Talgua, Honduras and met our guide, his family and pets. By pets I mean chicken they were going to eat for Christmas. His wife thought it would be fun to explain how she kills them while we were eating dinner even after Kur and I told her we were scared sh*tless of them. I love that woman. Trying to not think much about the road ahead of us, we went to sleep.

The first five hours were a blast. The journey started through a parched river, then we walked through a forest only to enter a field of tall green grass. As we approached the top, we submerged ourselves in a jungle. You couldn't see the sunlight, and every time we stopped for a break, we realised how low the temperature really was. The path was disappearing, and with each step we took, it became harder to go through steep terrain. We arrived at a dwarf forest, and beyond it, you could see all of the beautiful mountains tainted a pale shade of blue. It was funny and painful, but rewarding, to see our point of departure was a mountain in front of us. So shockingly distant.

But we had to continue. We walked, or crawled, a lot more. I wasn't sure how much longer I would be able to keep up. Our guide had to push me from behind every time I had to go over a tree or a steep hill for I had no strength on my legs left. Super embarrasing. I looked at Kur, who was equally struggling, and we laughed out loud just looking around us and wondering what in the world we were doing there. We had walked for over 8 hours nonstop, I needed a toilet desperately, we looked like crap, we had only a bag of bread left for food and we couldn't feel our legs. Honoring our generation's need to document and share everything with the world, we sat down on a tree, and took a selfie. We wanted to remember that feeling and place before we went back to remind us to stay out of jungles for the rest of our lives, or at least until enough time passed and we could boldly venture ourselves into doing something as stupid again.

Five hours, lots of falls, bruises on our butts, uncountable visits to the toilet, and two pairs of amazingly toned but sore legs later, we were safe in our car and proudly saying, "we climbed La Picucha". We didn't really. We had like two hours left to get to the top. But nobody has to know. So let just say yeah, we climbed La Picucha.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About leiryseron


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.