Existing Member?

From Seattle to the World ...at least part of it.

Sri Lanka

SRI LANKA | Thursday, 9 March 2006 | Views [693] | Comments [5]

Sri Lanka is even more foreign than I imagined.  We've hired a driver named Mervin who is driving us arond the island.  It's a good thing too because if we had to drive here, or even take the bus, it may be a life threatening experience.  The barely two lane roads soemtimes become six lanes, packed with busses, cars, three wheelers and trucks.  Is really amazing to watch.

The people are wonderful - very laid back, friendly and interested in all things western.  We are as foreign to some of them as they are to us and it is a weird feeling- almost like celebrity.  We have not met a single American here, but there seems to be some Englidh, Dutch and German tourists.  The tsunami was a major hit on the local tourist economy, even though the vast majority of sights were untouched.  Terrorism has been a worry in the past (before 2001), but things are peaceful now and we feel very safe.

As you might imagine, Sri Lanka doesn't have a big Internet Cafe culture, so our posting has been a bit lax. But, we're taking lots of pictures that will appear here on the site soon.

Yesterday I rode an elephant into 6 feet of water and almost had a sandal stolen by a monkey.  Today I wore a sarong at a Buddhist temple. Sachi is recovering from a small stomach issue, but is almost at full strength again.   

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hello,

I was reading your blog and I'm considering going to Sri Lanka this coming November. I was wondering how your trip was and if you felt safe overall with the issues they have been having with the tamil rebels and such. Did you enjoy your trip, or was there another part of Asia that you preferred to Sri Lanka? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much and Happy Travels,
Tracey

  Tracey Forgue Mar 14, 2006 6:17 AM

2

HELLO,
MY NAMAE IS BRIANNA A 9TH GRADE STUDENT IN LYNDENWASHINGTON AND IM RESEACHING ON SRI LANKA'S HISTORY AND PEOPLE AND TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY THAN OTHER COUNTRIES IS NICE I AM THINKING ON GOING THERE IN THE FUTURE SO IF YOU CAN E-MAIL ME TELLING ME MORE ON IT I WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED!
THANKS AGAIN,
BRIANNA

  BRIANNA Jun 3, 2006 1:24 AM

3

HELLO,
MY NAME IS BRIANNA A 9TH GRADE STUDENT IN LYNDEN,WASHINGTON AND IM RESEACHING ON SRI LANKA'S HISTORY AND PEOPLE AND TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY THAN OTHER COUNTRIES IS NICE I AM THINKING ON GOING THERE IN THE FUTURE SO IF YOU CAN E-MAIL ME TELLING ME MORE ON IT I WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED!
THANKS AGAIN,
BRIANNA

  BRIANNA Jun 3, 2006 1:26 AM

4

HELLO,
MY NAME IS BRIANNA A 9TH GRADE STUDENT IN LYNDEN,WASHINGTON AND IM RESEACHING ON SRI LANKA'S HISTORY AND PEOPLE AND TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY THAN OTHER COUNTRIES IS NICE I AM THINKING ON GOING THERE IN THE FUTURE SO IF YOU CAN E-MAIL ME TELLING ME MORE ON IT I WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED!
THANKS AGAIN,
BRIANNA

  BRIANNA Jun 3, 2006 1:26 AM

5

Hi all,
I am a Sri Lankan undergraduate student. Most of the things in this blog is correct. Now we are manage the terrarium and you feel very safe. The most attractive beach in the Asia is now open for tourists. Meanwhile this blog does not contain any thing about the hill country of Sri Lanka. You can walk in the world most quality tea estates and misty and more more and more. Also for the students who learn the history, Sri Lanka is the world best place to see practical historical envirenment.
So visit Sri Lanka. and ENJOY

  Amila Aug 27, 2008 9:08 AM

About leelefever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.