Existing Member?

From Seattle to the World ...at least part of it.

Charleston, South Carolina

USA | Monday, 19 December 2005 | Views [616]

There is something special about Charleston, South Carolina and I think it has something that has to do with good ole' southern charm.  I always wish I could take Seattleites on a tour of Charleston to experience the South that I love instead of the South they see in Nascar races. Charleston is a bastion of the Old South and retains a load of southern charm and beauty that is unrivaled.  It's also where the first shots of the Civil War were fired.
 
JJ and Shannon, a couple of our best friends, moved from Seattle to Charleston recently and we're staying with them (and their dogs Pooch and Murphy) for a couple of days. This is JJ and Murphy on the right)
 
The aside from the charm of the people, it's the historical architecture that sets Charleston apart. It's a city that is situated on a peninsula with the majority of the historical homes toward the tip of the peninsula.  Back in the mid-to-late 1700's and early 1800's Charleston became one of the biggest cities in what was becoming America.  The land owners from all over the south built huge houses in Charleston as their "places in the city"; places to go and socialize with other rich land owners.
 
It should be mentioned that this was a time of slavery in the South and the spoils of land ownership, including the homes in Charleston, were built upon the labor of slaves.  Though not a proud history, slavery is very much a part of the history of Charleston.
 
Today, the homes of land owners still exist in Charleston and the vast majority are private residences.  Walking around the "Battery" or the tip of the peninsula, is perhaps the biggest draw among tourists and for good reason-- the area has block after block of impeccably maintained homes and gardens build in the late 1700's.  The place just bleeds with southern charm and historical societies play a big part in maintaining the history of the city.
 
The downtown area of Charleston is also home of the College of Charleston which is famous among many males in the South for having a very favorable female to male ratio.  I've heard 1:4 and 1:6 female to male estimates.  Having lived in Charleston for a couple of years, I can vouch for both the number and beauty of the residents- unlike any other place I've seen, honestly.   
 
I'll come back to Charleston one day when I'm ready for my life to be slower and more laid back. It will be a while. :)

Tags: Sightseeing

About leelefever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.