Existing Member?

From Seattle to the World ...at least part of it.

On a Bus from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Friday, 14 July 2006 | Views [601]

3AM: Lee wakes up to watch last half of World Cup finals. Goes back to sleep happy for Italy and wishing bad, bad things for Zidane.
6:30AM:
Wake up and pack.
7:05AM: Go to front desk to check out and order breakfast to go. Find only one worker- a bar keep. Order is placed as kitchen shows no signs of life.
7:15AM: Take bags to front desk... Food is being cooked slowly, checkout process begins, slowly. Feel anxiety about catching 7:45am bus.
7:35AM: Breakfast is done, but no takeaway containers. Must wait for someone to run next door. tick-tock tic-tock. Finally board the backs of two motorcycles (motos) for the bus station. Board bus with little fanfare.


8:15AM: Cambodian karaoke plays on the bus TV and sound system.
11:15AM: While arriving in Phnom Penh, Sachi notices a large stream of ants traveling up and down the window on her left as the woman beside me utilizes a third bus-supplied barf bag. Sachi feels thankful for motion patch.
11:55AM: Arrive at first bus station in Phnom Penh only to reboard same bus to go to main terminal to catch new bus for 6 hour ride to Siem Reap. Our bus to Siem Reap is full. Walk to other bus companies, find another 12:30 bus to Siem Reap for US$7 per person.
12:48PM: Depart Phnom Penh for Siem Reap with an ETA of 5:30pm. We'll see.
1:48PM: This bus smells like urine and the AC doesn't keep the sweat away.
3:35PM:
Lee commences all out assault on bus toilet door, which swings open incessantly just feet from his seat. After closing it for the 12th time, resolves to find a solution. The urine smell will be defeated!
4:17PM: Lee breaks a new sweat with each close of the toilet door. No one seems to appreciate the effort.
5:43PM: Lee continues to be mocked by the bathroom door and it's rank smells. Despite fastening a canvas strap supplied by the bus people (a victorious solution), a steady flow of fellow passengers fail to recognize our plight and the door remains open for most of the time. Grrrrr. Lee admits defeat in the final moments.
6:10PM:
Arrive in Siem Reap and into the typical SE Asian madhouse of tuk-tuk drivers, bags emerging from the belly of the bus and astounding inefficiency. We take a tuk-tuk to our hotel and retire for the evening after spending 10 hours on Cambodian busses.

Tags: On the Road

About leelefever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.