Existing Member?

Leanne With a year off work. I am off to South America to experience living in country so different from my own.

Dafen

CHINA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [511]

Oil paintings.

Oil paintings.

It took me 45 minutes by subway but I arrived in Dafen with my chinese note in hand asking to point me in the direction of Dafen village and I got there with minimum fuss. The village is full of quaint little shops loaded with paintings and art supplies. A lot of the painters are instantly recognisable but mingled in is some original work.  I wandered around admiring their work and watched some painters industriously copying from photos. I was given a full tour of a 3 storey warehouse absolutely full of paintings but I wasn’t really tempted to buy anything, there is only one masterpiece I would really like to own and luckily I didn’t see it. After a visit to Wal Mart and lunch I set off back home. Even though I hardly saw any other westerners the locals are a lot more accepting and didn’t try to engage me in conversation like in Yangshuo. Then when I boarded the subway a group of teenage girls spotted me and tried out some of their basic English on me, this lead to everyone having a turn at being photographed with me but besides that I was fairly inconspicuous. 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.